Why become a member? ×

GAS 1-0 Machines

Machines

Went to PMT Birmingham today for a post Xmas browse with the missus had a bit of cash on me as presents received. I kind of knew what I was letting myself in for.. there'd be something there the same price as what I had in my wallet and i'd buy it.

Well - there's no point evading fate is there ?! Saw this Epiphone Thunderbird on the wall, brand new for £199. Walked away with it for £10 less than that, very happy. Plugged it in at home and it does not disappoint - that thunderous grindy rock tone is in abundance.

First bass i've bought since 2005 (seriously) as i've done nothing but trade for the last 5 years.

I embrace the GAS, working with it is easier and leads to less guilt when it does finally break you. The T-Bird is an iconic instrument i've always lusted after but never pursued before. All I need now is a Ricky and a Precision !

EDIT: Just found this soundclip on the Epi website - sounds just like this for anyone curious :).

[url="http://www.epiphone.com/media/TBirdGroove.mp3"]http://www.epiphone.com/media/TBirdGroove.mp3[/url]

[quote name='Machines' post='1073444' date='Dec 31 2010, 08:35 AM']EDIT: Just found this soundclip on the Epi website - sounds just like this for anyone curious :).

[url="http://www.epiphone.com/media/TBirdGroove.mp3"]http://www.epiphone.com/media/TBirdGroove.mp3[/url][/quote]

I've got to say that I've always thought the T Bird was one of the worst sounding basses out there, next to Fender Precision basses etc etc. But you can't take the Overwater to the Dog and Bollock for fear it might get damaged, so it's always a good idea to have a cheapy backup!

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1074162' date='Jan 1 2011, 05:50 AM']I've got to say that I've always thought the T Bird was one of the worst sounding basses out there, next to Fender Precision basses etc etc[/quote]
Is that meant to be serious ? If so, it's one of the most hilarious things i've ever read ! I'm quite sure there are thousands of players worldwide who feel the Precision is one of the BEST sounding basses out there. Are they all wrong ?

[quote name='Machines' post='1074173' date='Jan 1 2011, 08:31 AM']Is that meant to be serious ? If so, it's one of the most hilarious things i've ever read ! I'm quite sure there are thousands of players worldwide who feel the Precision is one of the BEST sounding basses out there. Are they all wrong ?[/quote]

Well, their opinion of good tone is quite different to my idea. To me, the Precision has one of the worst bass tones around (as well as being quite ugly and never playing brilliantly). Different vinegar strokes for different folks and all that!

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1074402' date='Jan 1 2011, 02:36 PM']Well, their opinion of good tone is quite different to my idea. To me, the Precision has one of the worst bass tones around (as well as being quite ugly and never playing brilliantly). Different vinegar strokes for different folks and all that![/quote]
I think we must have different ideas of what the basses role is within a band context hence the stark contrast in perception of the tone of a Precision/T-Bird. To me they're there to sit in the mix of a band and fill out the sound, not to cut through or have an in your face sound. For the latter, I have the Overwater.