Why become a member? ×

I am such a Dim-whit!

Rumble

Having read loads of great reviews about the Roland V bass system, I went ahead and purchased a used one off this forum. However, I was sat playing by Status S2 headless last night (I'm a bass monogamist BTW) and it suddenly dawned on me that there is pretty much zero space between the bridge (individual monorail jobbies) and the bridge pickup, so there's absolutely no space for the Midi pickup to be mounted!! :)

Now, I realise and accept that I've been a slow minded egit, but will I still be able to use the V-bass for modelling and effects without the Midi pickup? Please say yes!

Yes, you can use it for amp modelling and effects, but none of the polyphonic stuff will work, so no instrument modelling and no synths.

Maybe it's time to think about owning more than one bass and pick up a cheap something through the forum. As long as it plays OK, it doesn't matter what it sounds like! Dave.c picked up a very decent little Cort for not very much outlay just to use with his V-Bass.

There is another way, if you want to get the best out of the V-Bass and stick with the Status- you can get a set of piezo saddles and a midi expander board from Graphtec. Not cheap though, and will require some mods to the Status.

Edited by pete.young

Thanks for the advice. The guy from who I'm buying the V-bass has seen this thread and offered me a refund given that he hadn't yet posted it.

To be honest the main reason I was getting the V-bass was because I was lead to believe that it gave the best fretless / upright bass effect without having to spend at least triple the money on a fretless bass. Not sure what other options I have really. I'm growing to love the Status graphite neck, so it might be that I just need to hold out for a Status fretless??

Dang! I was lucky that mine JUST fits in the gap between my bridge and pickup, but it was touch and go, the only way to really see was to buy it and pray. I don't suppose you can move the bridge saddles back a tad, the pickup is very thin (less than 1cm I think)

ped

Well it actually looks like I won't be getting the V-bass afterall given that the seller has seen this thread and kindly offered me a refund. Unfortunately, it leaves me with another quandry; which other multi-effects will give me a decent defret effect? I'm not overly keen on the Boss pedals because the ME10B I tried seemed to offer 101 distortion effects and about 4 delay / chorus / octaver effects and I'm just not into distortion.

[quote name='BassBus' post='1075163' date='Jan 2 2011, 11:56 AM']You could put the pickup anywhere on the body you choose but at the risk of more latency.[/quote]

The Roland instructions say that the pickup should be positioned at most 50mm from the bridge, which rules out putting it inbetween the pickups.

Not sure why, but I think it's more likely to be related to ghost notes than latency issues. The further away from the bridge you get, the closer the various harmonic points of the string get and there is a possibility that these might fool the pickup into sensing the wrong frequency.

The Streamline clip is very interesting - that shouldn't work according to Roland! I will do some experiments if I have time, although my GK3-B is screwed onto the bass so moving it about is a bit of a pain.

Edited by pete.young

[quote name='pete.young' post='1071167' date='Dec 28 2010, 06:48 PM']Yes, you can use it for amp modelling and effects, but none of the polyphonic stuff will work, so no instrument modelling and no synths.

Maybe it's time to think about owning more than one bass and pick up a cheap something through the forum. As long as it plays OK, it doesn't matter what it sounds like! Dave.c picked up a very decent little Cort for not very much outlay just to use with his V-Bass.

There is another way, if you want to get the best out of the V-Bass and stick with the Status- you can get a set of piezo saddles and a midi expander board from Graphtec. Not cheap though, and will require some mods to the Status.[/quote]

Sorry to de-rail. I am thinking of piezo-ing my Streamline. I am presuming that the monorail bridge units are ABM. Have you actually done this or seen one?

In answer to Owen, no, I've never done anything like this, I've always stuck with the GK3-B.

Matt Golgotha's thread about his Midi Jazz has some good information though [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=50068&st=0"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=50068&st=0[/url]

[quote name='ped' post='1076167' date='Jan 3 2011, 11:54 AM']The problem with moving the pickup away from the bridge isn't latency, there is never any latency with the Vbass unit, but there may be tracking issues. Try it with some double sided tape, it may be fine.[/quote]

I seem to remember back from my VG-8/gr-30 days i put some blu-tac under the GK-2a pickup and moved it around on my strat to see if it made much difference with the sensitivity (I used an RMC fan-out box which split each string to a separate mixer channel and added effects individually per string).

I would advise the recommended proximity to the bridge is mainly to eliminate magnetic cross talk/ghost notes and unintentional string noise/stray harmonics when using [b]pitch to midi conversion [/b]to give it the best chance to accurately convert the string information to midi and not when using COSM effects. (additionally I seem to remember that the proximity to the bridge gave a more consistent tracking of the string due to reduced string oscillation at this point).

The divided pickup is basically a series of mini humbuckers with individual outputs, and for the purposes of the V-bass i don't think it is AS crucial where the divided pickup is positioned as for the majority of patches it is effectively like running a multifx unit for each string - this changes where you are using pitch shifting patches (alternative tunings etc) where the nearer the pickup is positioned to the bridge, the more accurately it can pitch transpose on some of the patches.

Edited by Matt Golgotha