Why become a member? ×

How to mount a LED Par can to a speaker stand

dave_bass5

We are about to get this LED PAR can to mount on to the leg of a speaker stand. This will mean we dont need it sitting on the stage.
[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/stairville_led_par_64_10_mm_black_rgb.htm"]LED Par can at Thomanns[/url]
We had two floor standing versions but just lost one and cant get another at the same price.

The idea is we will attach it to one of the floor legs pointing up at us. I cant get to measure the stands diameter until the next gig (NYE) and thats when we need it. I do know the shaft is 40mm and i have a feeling the legs are the same.

I know we need a G clamp of some sort but has any one got any recommendations or advice. I guess something that will fit from 30mm -50mm would be ideal.

cheers.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1061784' date='Dec 17 2010, 04:50 PM']The idea is we will attach it to one of the floor legs pointing up at us.[/quote]

We use two of these BUT they're mounted on the speaker stands at roughly waist/shoulder height pointing along the front line from both sides. This makes use of the existing height-setting holes in the telescopic section of the PA support legs.

If you can't sort out your low-mount clamps in time, this is a cheap'n'easy fix requiring virtually no time and no DIY skills during set-up on stage.

Go to your local B&Q or hardware store and, for each PAR can, buy: 1No 100mm bolt, 3No large flat washers, 1No locking (split) washer, 1No butterfly nut. The diameter for all this lot will be set by the size of the height-setting holes on the PA stands. Total cost = less than a fiver.

Mount them as: Bolt -> flat washer -> PAR can mount -> flat washer -> PA stand -> flat washer -> locking washer -> butterfly nut. Do the butterfly nut up finger tight (obviously) and you should be able to use this system with no tools at all. Over-tighten it and you'll need a spanner and a pair of plyers to undo it all later.

When dismounted, store it all [i]in situ[/i] on the PAR can mounts, with the components in the right sequence so it's easy to put it back together again next time you need it.

I've used this system for two years now and it seems completely foolproof ... even the keyboard player can work it.

Cheers Guys.

JLP. Thanks for that link. I've been looking at some of those and they look ideal.

Mog. Gaffa tape isnt really the solution as we tend to re direct the lights on to the dance floor when we arent playing so i think Gaffa might be a bit restricting, depending on the angle etc.

Happy Jack. Our new stands dont have any holes in them. We thought about drilling some but its all out of my hands and the guy who looks after them will never get around to it. He cant even re string his guitar before he gets to a gig. But thats another thread all together.

Edited by dave_bass5