Why become a member? ×

Fender routing

Jono Bolton

Which models/countries of manufacture are best for nice, tight routing? I'd to get a Jazz body so I can have it scratchplateless Jaco style, but not have everyone see that the pickup and wiring routs were done using a JCB of some variety. Mine's a Mex by the way. I assume the Jap models are flawless as per usual.

CIJ are safe for leaving the scratch plate off, USA new models are not as muppet has already mentioned but my 90's USA has tighter routing for the pups than my 2004 USA. Not sure when Fender started the ridiculous routing under the scratch plate, but what a pain!!!

I know that starting around 1980 Fender were using CNC location holes and rather bizarre channels on precisions, so this might well be something to watch for on Jazzes from this date.

It's likely that Fender have changed their routing over the years since, and at least some basses have the CNC holes hidden under the bridge.

[quote name='Musky' post='121488' date='Jan 16 2008, 02:31 PM']I know that starting around 1980 Fender were using CNC location holes and rather bizarre channels on precisions, so this might well be something to watch for on Jazzes from this date.

It's likely that Fender have changed their routing over the years since, and at least some basses have the CNC holes hidden under the bridge.[/quote]

Being a hopeless Fender fan I had to email them about the routing, this is what Peter Mathers replied with:

"Well, we have a rough estimate that the routing started after the vintage 1970’s guitars with the American standard range. This would have been around the mid 80’s."

Hope this helps

Pete Mathers

Fender GBI Service Co-Ordinator

When GAS gets me again I'll be after late 70's early eighties models then!!! Can't afford a vintage :)

That probably about right. The Standards came out in 82 (apparently) but I've seen pictures of P's bearing S9 serials and with the channels and holes, so that's something to think about before shelling out. The S9 numbers were only supposed to be used up until 1981, before the Standards came out. So either S9 serials can denote an 82 instrument or Fender were at least using the routing of the Standards on earlier basses.

I've got a small collection of pictures from ebay showing older P bass routs, but very few of Jazzes unfortunately - partly because they don't seem to come up often on Ebay.