Why become a member? ×

Squier VM Jaguar PLUS

DaveMuadDib

Ok with a bit of fiddling, I have been slowly transforming the recent Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar 2010 into my own personal instrument. This process has been slowed down severely due to medical failures, but I'm pretty much good to go now, so on with it :) I don't recommend gall stones to anybody, though :)

[b]Step one: Golden up the hardware[/b]

I LOVE my Fender Jazz Special with Status Graphite neck, but I desperately needed a good backup bass. Sadly, I made the decision to sell my trusty old Hohner headless, because excellent though it was, it just wasn't a viable backup in a live situation considering that it had two active humbuckers. Simply put, I needed something with a Jazz pup on the bridge and a Precision pup up in the neck position. So what could be more awesome than when the Squier Jaguar was announced; a great quality budget bass with exactly that pup configuration!! Of course I snapped it up pretty much on release day. And the first thing I did, naturally, was tear it apart.

I strongly believe that a Black Bass + Gold Hardware + Tortoiseshell Pickguard is the aesthetic match made in heaven for me. It was my lucky day when this bass not only had the correct pop configuration, but actually had a black body and tortoiseshell pickguard ready fitted!

Everything on this bass was pretty much stock Fender size, but the obvious obstacle was the Control Plate. This turned out to be an absolute nightmare to get my hands on, and none of the online custom shops were willing to do it for me!! Luckily, Basschat's own Mr Foxen came to the rescue, and was able to help me out in this department - I sent him a scan of plate, and in no time at all, I had a brass replica in the post. Excellent quality, and finishing - I couldn't recommend his services more!

So here's a quick photo of the work in progress. Mods so far are as follows:

- Gold Badass II
- Gold Pickguard Screws
- Gold Control Plate (courtesy of Mr Foxen)
- Gold Straplock Pins
- Gold String Retainer
- Gold Machine Heads (25% complete!)

[attachment=65982:08122010002.jpg]

Excuse the shoddy lighting and mucky prints all over everything - I'll upload a new pic soon when I get the chance. For v2.0 I plan to install new pups and electronics. v3.0 should be the finished article, and if all goes to plan, she'll have...

*drum roll*

A Status Graphite Neck :-D

I'll keep you all posted as soon as this comes to pass. If anyone else has modified one of these beautiful basses, I'd love to see your work!

Dave

Edited by DaveMuadDib

• 1 month later...