Why become a member? ×

Converting an 8 ohm cab to 4 ohms - help!

Jazzjames

[quote name='Jazzjames' post='1047499' date='Dec 4 2010, 04:21 PM']Hello,

I'm thinking of buying a 4x10 cab for use on loud function gigs, and a few in my price range have popped up, but they're all 8 ohm impedance.

Is there a way of rewiring the cab to make it 4 ohms?

Thanks,

James[/quote]

The short answer is an emphatic NO!

Do some research and you are likely to find that a sensitive 8ohm cab will likely give you more than a less sensitive 4ohm cab, there are loads more factors to take into account than just the 'quoted' ohmage of the cab. You don't say what you have already but I'm assuming the new cab would be used as a standalone and not added to your existing cab (which I'm again guessing is 4ohm)!

I'm thinking of buying a 4x10 cab for use on loud function gigs, and a few in my price range have popped up, but they're all 8 ohm impedance.

Thanks,

James[/quote]

Could be but it depends on how the 4x10 is wired up now.

Dave

Thanks,

James[/quote]

An 8-ohm cabinet with 4 identical speakers will either have 4 x 8-ohm speakers wired in series/parallel or 4 x 32-ohm speakers all wired in parallel.

Without changing all the speakers for 16-ohm or 4-ohm or disconnecting 2 speakers there is no way you can rewire an 8-ohm cabinet to be 4-ohms. It's against the laws of physics.

[quote name='obbm' post='1048076' date='Dec 5 2010, 11:16 AM']An 8-ohm cabinet with 4 identical speakers will either have 4 x 8-ohm speakers wired in series/parallel or 4 x 32-ohm speakers all wired in parallel.

Without changing all the speakers for 16-ohm or 4-ohm or disconnecting 2 speakers there is no way you can rewire an 8-ohm cabinet to be 4-ohms. It's against the laws of physics.[/quote]

I agree, but at the time I was thinking of a stereo cab like some of the Marshalls. These can be 2x10 at 8R a side which and be wired or even switched to 4 or 16R mono. So, if you look out for a stereo cab might be possible.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies everyone, glad to get an answer.

I just saw this 4x10 somewhere for a good price but i want to get the max out of my amp, as I will only use this cab on its own on function gigs.

I use a Genz Benz Shuttle 3.0 with 2 10" GB cabs, which is plenty for jazz and indoor gigs, but for outdoor stuff I need to shift a bit more air... I think I'll probably just buy something big and loud with more watts like an Ampeg 600w 1x15 or a SWR black beauty. Thanks for your help anyway.