Why become a member? ×

Dingwall subliminal message!

Grand Wazoo

The first big notice for me was when I used my Combustion live too. I could just feel it cutting through the mix more than my Warwick's ever did.

On their own they might just sound like "another" top end bass but personally in a live setting, I've yet to find a better bass.

If I could change one thing it would be this (and it is just griping for the sake of griping)

I'd square off the top of the PUPS to rest your thumb on. I have no problems as it is BUT if I could change one thing, it would be that. Just to make it ever so slightly more comfy on the old thumb.

[quote name='Blues Cat' post='1061948' date='Dec 17 2010, 07:35 PM']Some interesting uneducated reply's on the looks of the bass. I would say you need to play one before you judge it.[/quote]

With all due respect Mr Cat, someones opinion on how it looks is wholly educated and justified! I wont buy a bass I dont like the looks of. Regardless of whether or not the functionality in some way accounts for it.

[quote name='MythSte' post='1061977' date='Dec 17 2010, 08:10 PM']With all due respect Mr Cat, someones opinion on how it looks is wholly educated and justified! I wont buy a bass I dont like the looks of. Regardless of whether or not the functionality in some way accounts for it.[/quote]

+1 to that.

Functionality and sound are key, but if an instrument is unattractive then I wouldn't give it 2nd thought. There are lots of instruments out there. Find one that ticks all the boxes. Thankfully I find the 'odd' appearance of Dingwall's to be pretty cool!

[quote name='Blues Cat' post='1061948' date='Dec 17 2010, 07:35 PM']Some interesting uneducated reply's on the looks of the bass. I would say you need to play one before you judge it.[/quote]

What an odd comment indeed... would you drive this before you judged it?

The looks of something has to be at least a little appealing...

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='1062102' date='Dec 17 2010, 10:35 PM']What an odd comment indeed... would you drive this before you judged it?

The looks of something has to be at least a little appealing...[/quote]

My mum used to drive one of those. Me and my sister dubbed it the pregnant roller skate. Mum just thought it was "funky". I guess there's a reason i'm not playing a star bass...!

I hate to see this thread turning into a Dingwall bashing. There is really no need for it, and you certainly don't gain anything by dissing them.

As for that car, yes its ugly as sin, but if it had a 12V pots Supercharged 3 litre engine in it, and did 0 to 60 in under 6 seconds then of course I would give it a go!

If at all possible, some of you should at least show some respect towards the luthier who actually makes this basses and takes his time to answer all kind of criticism while all the time maintaining a very polite and humble approach.

Can you imagine Sterling Ball and his "Sig Heil!" Kingdom along with his contract killer moderators handling someone who says the Bongo is ugly and looks like a toilet seat? It doesn't bare thinking, I tell ya!

Electric pliers and medieval torture awaits you, and when he's done with you, his fanbois vultures are called in to feast on your carcass! :) :) :lol:

Edited by Grand Wazoo

One thing I don't understand about Dingwalls is that the whole design is based around that low B (which it does superbly, I almost ended up with one myself recently) but it seems a bit of a waste on 4 strings. What's the scale length with the 4 strings and are there any advantages other than the natural wrist rotation (which, with all due respect, seems a bit wasted on a narrower 4 string neck)?

Lovely basses and I'd love to own a super J 5 someday. :)

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1062119' date='Dec 17 2010, 10:58 PM']I hate to see this thread turning into a Dingwall bashing. There is really no need for it, and you certainly don't gain anything by dissing them.

As for that car, yes its ugly as sin, but if it had a 12V pots Supercharged 3 litre engine in it, and did 0 to 60 in under 6 seconds then of course I would give it a go!

If at all possible, some of you should at least show some respect towards the luthier who actually makes this basses and takes his time to answer all kind of criticism while all the time maintaining a very polite and humble approach.

Can you imagine Sterling Ball and his "Sig Heil!" Kingdom along with his contract killer moderators handling someone who says the Bongo is ugly and looks like a toilet seat? It doesn't bare thinking, I tell ya!

Electric pliers and medieval torture awaits you, and when he's done with you, his fanbois vultures are called in to feast on your carcass! :) :) :lol:[/quote]

Chill - I don't think there is any Dingwall bashing going on. In fact, as far as I am concerned, I fully appreciate the Dingwall thing, even though it's not for me. I just merely pointed out that the comments based on looks wasn't exactly the most appropriate one. You wouldn't drop the cash on something if it wasn't visually pleasing or comfortable. If the Dingwall floats your boat and does everything you want, then all power to all the Dingwall owners!

As for the car comments, yes, we'd all give it a go... wouldn't mean we would buy one... if you get what I mean.

[quote name='MythSte' post='1061691' date='Dec 17 2010, 09:30 AM']I don't mean to hijack the thread at all but where abouts in Canada are you based Sheldon? I've a few trips over planned next year!

P.S, I'm aware its a kinda big place, worth asking :)[/quote]

We're slightly west of dead-center. Saskatoon, SK. Drop us a line if you're going to be in the area.

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1062157' date='Dec 17 2010, 06:30 PM']One thing I don't understand about Dingwalls is that the whole design is based around that low B (which it does superbly, I almost ended up with one myself recently) but it seems a bit of a waste on 4 strings. What's the scale length with the 4 strings and are there any advantages other than the natural wrist rotation (which, with all due respect, seems a bit wasted on a narrower 4 string neck)?

Lovely basses and I'd love to own a super J 5 someday. :)[/quote]

We're known for our B-string. It's a blessing and a curse. Our 4-strings sound even better than our 5's. A 36.25" E has the same punch and clarity as the A. Dropped down to D it's outrageous. The 35.5" A has articulation and transparency that is second to none. The D and G-strings sound pretty normal compared to a 34" scale, but sound fatter and less tense than a 35" scale. The Super J has the same advantages but dials down the articulation in favor of fatness and punch.

The real advantage is that instead of cramming 4 or 5 different timbres (one for each string) down a single cable, through a single row of eq settings and ending up with half of your notes unable to cut through the mix. We offer as close to the same timbre on all strings as possible. The result being your bass is easier to eq, easier to mix (soundmen and engineers love us), and way easier to hear in the mix.

Communicating the groove is no different than any other form of communication. If it's not communicated clearly enough to be heard the meaning gets lost.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1062119' date='Dec 17 2010, 02:58 PM']I hate to see this thread turning into a Dingwall bashing. There is really no need for it, and you certainly don't gain anything by dissing them.

Electric pliers and medieval torture awaits you, and when he's done with you, his fanbois vultures are called in to feast on your carcass! :) :lol: :D[/quote]
No Dingwall bashing but we can compare Sterling & friends to the Nazis. Fanboiness is ugly from any side :)

[quote name='Vibrating G String' post='1062223' date='Dec 18 2010, 07:37 AM']No Dingwall bashing but we can compare Sterling & friends to the Nazis. Fanboiness is ugly from any side :)[/quote]

Which reminds me, where is Tino these days? Did they finally track him down and terminate him?!

[quote name='Vibrating G String' post='1062223' date='Dec 18 2010, 07:37 AM']No Dingwall bashing but we can compare Sterling & friends to the Nazis. Fanboiness is ugly from any side :)[/quote]

Mind you, Sheldon has been much more gracious, personable and accomodating than Sterling Ball ever is. Look how he has come here and engaged in thoughtful discussion with us, leading to us better understanding these basses; both in what they do and who they are made for. Sterling would have came in here and said "NO YOU ARE WRONG, YOU MAY NOT HOLD THIS OPINION AS IT CONTRADICTS WHAT I SAY AND BELIEVE. IF YOU HAVE A CRITICISM OF MY PRODUCT YOU MAY LEAVE AS I WILL NOT ENTERTAIN SUCH THINGS".

I like Musicman basses but Sterling doesn't have many friends beyond his own troupe of fanboys.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1063346' date='Dec 19 2010, 11:14 AM']Well said all of you's in the last 3 or 4 posts! And thanks for not making me feel like I am the only one that believes that theory.[/quote]

There is nothing wrong even if you were the only person to believe in that theory (though you aren't).

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1063297' date='Dec 19 2010, 02:35 AM']Mind you, Sheldon has been much more gracious, personable and accomodating than Sterling Ball ever is. Look how he has come here and engaged in thoughtful discussion with us, leading to us better understanding these basses; both in what they do and who they are made for. Sterling would have came in here and said "NO YOU ARE WRONG, YOU MAY NOT HOLD THIS OPINION AS IT CONTRADICTS WHAT I SAY AND BELIEVE. IF YOU HAVE A CRITICISM OF MY PRODUCT YOU MAY LEAVE AS I WILL NOT ENTERTAIN SUCH THINGS".

I like Musicman basses but Sterling doesn't have many friends beyond his own troupe of fanboys.[/quote]
I have no criticism of Sheldon, I've met him and he's a nice guy and I like his work. My point was if you are complaining about people not being nice to him why are you in your other post and then again in all caps in this one doing exactly what you are complaining about to someone else?

Seriously, follow your own advice. I also agree with you about Sterling but you have to follow the rules you are telling others to follow if you don't want to be a hypocrite. There is no need to derail this thread with multiple posts bashing Sterling.

[quote name='LawrenceH' post='1064235' date='Dec 20 2010, 02:20 AM']I like the concept of fanned frets, but would be more interested in a less extreme version of it - say a scale length that varied by an inch or so.[/quote]

If this were the optimum arrangement for the system they'd probably be making them like that.

[quote name='LawrenceH' post='1064235' date='Dec 20 2010, 02:20 AM']I like the concept of fanned frets, but would be more interested in a less extreme version of it - say a scale length that varied by an inch or so.[/quote]

Lets take this idea the other way :) I want to see a more extreme version a full 180 degree fan. Or 360! :)

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1064244' date='Dec 20 2010, 07:05 AM']If this were the optimum arrangement for the system they'd probably be making them like that.[/quote]

They do actually make shorter scale basses, the super J is 33-35". :) [url="http://www.dingwallguitars.com/basses/super-j-series/super-j-standard/"]http://www.dingwallguitars.com/basses/supe...per-j-standard/[/url] I'd love one of these as I riff around a bit on the B and the combustion I tried was a bit of a stretch, I just can't justify the price at the moment.

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1064244' date='Dec 20 2010, 07:05 AM']If this were the optimum arrangement for the system they'd probably be making them like that.[/quote]

Look at it from a biomechanical perspective and that doesn't really make sense - the length and proportions of the arm of the player will vary the angle of pivoting as well as the scale distance that can be covered comfortably. Tonally as well, optimum scale length depends what you're after.
I'm sure 34 to 37 is a good choice for a lot of people, but that Super J looks more my thing. Purely based on the degree of curvature my wrist position naturally wants to place on my hand at different points up the neck I'd probably be happy with a very subtle fanning.