Why become a member? ×

Is There Really No Hope....?

Jigster

Have a 1983 G&L SB2 and the truss rod seems to have stopped working - it just turns and turns with no effect on the neck - trouble with this being, there is no skunk stripe, no entry at the bottom end, and the neck seems to be all one piece so no taking off fretboard - getting at the truss rod seems all but impossible - anyone got any ideas on what this might cost as repair in the hands of a good luthier? Or even if it's worth it? The body is sound and the pick ups VERY special - new neck??

My worry is that any repair work on the truss might cost more or at least as much as the bass is worth?

Thanks for any info :)

[quote name='Jigster' post='1040205' date='Nov 28 2010, 06:09 PM']Have a 1983 G&L SB2 and the truss rod seems to have stopped working - it just turns and turns with no effect on the neck - trouble with this being, there is no skunk stripe, no entry at the bottom end, and the neck seems to be all one piece so no taking off fretboard - getting at the truss rod seems all but impossible - anyone got any ideas on what this might cost as repair in the hands of a good luthier? Or even if it's worth it? The body is sound and the pick ups VERY special - new neck??

My worry is that any repair work on the truss might cost more or at least as much as the bass is worth?

Thanks for any info :)[/quote]

The truss rod is fixed at one end and open at the other for adjustment - it sounds like the fixed end has come adrift from it's mounting.
It [b]is[/b] repairable (if they got the truss rod in there in the first place then there will be a way in) but I really have no idea how much a luthier is going to charge.
I suspect it would probably be cheaper to try and source a new neck.

Been pondering a suspected similar problem with another bass.

Wondered if the truss rod end is a solid barrel. If so, would it be possible to drill a hole in the back of the neck, through the face that sits in the neck pocket ?
If so, once the hole is bored, would it be possible to thread a hole drilled in the truss rod barrel and screwe a bolt into the rod ?
If that is possible, the protruding bolt would prevent the rod from turning.

If it's possible, of course. It's just an idea, I've never tried it or heard of anyone doing it, so don't know if it's even feasable. If you're going to throw a neck away though, what do you have to lose ? Is it possible to discover more about the end of the truss rod to see if may work ?

I dare say a friendly Luthier will know if something like this will work.

Good luck with this one, whatever happens :)

T

[quote name='essexbasscat' post='1040318' date='Nov 28 2010, 07:31 PM']Been pondering a suspected similar problem with another bass.

Wondered if the truss rod end is a solid barrel. If so, would it be possible to drill a hole in the back of the neck, through the face that sits in the neck pocket ?
If so, once the hole is bored, would it be possible to thread a hole drilled in the truss rod barrel and screwe a bolt into the rod ?
If that is possible, the protruding bolt would prevent the rod from turning.

If it's possible, of course. It's just an idea, I've never tried it or heard of anyone doing it, so don't know if it's even feasable. If you're going to throw a neck away though, what do you have to lose ? Is it possible to discover more about the end of the truss rod to see if may work ?

I dare say a friendly Luthier will know if something like this will work.[/quote]

Well I guess it's a possibility but one has to wonder why they don't fit them like that in the first place if that was a workable solution (it'd save a lot of woodworking if it was as simple as that!).

Truss rods are generally fitted from the fingerboard side (prior to the fingerboard being glued into place) but I think some are inserted from the rear prior to having a go faster "stripe" added. :)
Either way round it needs a luthier to take a look and price the job up I reckon (this from a man who puts up shelves using blutak!!!)

Give Colin Fulton a call - he's on the luthier list on here. He used to be a G&L dealer, and I remember him talking about doing jobs like this (I took over the shop he had in Ipswich). He's not near to you but can probably make a good assesment by phone and then he's only a courier away.

[quote name='Mykesbass' post='1040343' date='Nov 28 2010, 07:44 PM']Give Colin Fulton a call - he's on the luthier list on here. He used to be a G&L dealer, and I remember him talking about doing jobs like this (I took over the shop he had in Ipswich). He's not near to you but can probably make a good assesment by phone and then he's only a courier away.[/quote]

thanks yep, will look him up