Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Help and Advice

elhorno

Hello,
This is my first post although I have been lurking and reading the board for quite some time.
I hope that some of you can help me as I'm an indecisive type of bloke and I've been mulling this over for a while and still haven't reached a conclusion.
I'm in the market for a new bass to preplace my old Marlin that I bought when I first started playing bass about 15 years ago. I then moved on to guitar but I've been roped into playing bass in a band and I'm really enjoying it so I'm going to return to bass playing for the forseeable future.
I'm looking for a reasonably priced bass as I don't want to spend a fortune on one. I have narrowed it down to two, the VM Squier Jag (which I could walk into my local shop and buy today) or the Jag based design from SX the URSA 4 (which has to be imported from Rondo Music). I love the Jag design and I particuluarly love the blue version available from SX.

[url="http://www.rondomusic.com/ursa4rnpbu.html"]http://www.rondomusic.com/ursa4rnpbu.html[/url]

By the time I order the SX, originally priced at around £100 and add in a case and delivery and import tax the price rises to around £220, whereas the Squier is only £40 more than this. I've read good things about both and I tried the Squier and enjoyed it. Am I better with the Squier than the SX, particularly with the price rise on it?
Has anyone on this board played the Ursa 4? What is it like?
If anyone wants to add to the confusion, does anyone know of any other Jag based design basses that I could pick up? Not wanting to spend more than £250 if possible.
Whichever one I do decide to get is going to result in a row with the Mrs anyway about me buying it, so I want to make sure that the end result is something that will be worth the nagging I'm going to get about wasting money.
Any advice would be greatly received.

[quote name='alanbass1' post='1038701' date='Nov 27 2010, 12:03 PM']You have actually tried the Squier and liked it and, for me, that would seal the deal. I would rather purchase a bass that I have felt and thought was right than take a chance on what might turn up through the post.......[/quote]

+1

I have never brought a bass I had not tried.

I agree with the guys above about the Squier. You've played it, so you know what it's like, and it's easily available without the hassle of importing. The other thing to consider is that it'll likely hold its value better than the SX. These new Squiers are getting a lot of praise round here.

A couple of years ago, Stagg did a jag-shaped bass with two Musicman-style pickups in it, in blue. You might have a hunt for one, though, and I don't think the quality would be up to the level of the Squier.

So, really it all boils down to how important the colour is to you :)

Save up a few extra bob, and buy my fender Jaguar?

I think that wesley fellow on eBay does a Jaguar shaped bass, however I mimic other people sentiments.

If the squier feels right now, go buy it, the extra £40 buys you things like warranty, returns policy and resellabilty if you want to move it on later.

[quote name='alanbass1' post='1038701' date='Nov 27 2010, 12:03 PM']You have actually tried the Squier and liked it and, for me, that would seal the deal. I would rather purchase a bass that I have felt and thought was right than take a chance on what might turn up through the post.......[/quote]
Again like Toddy54 I'm with Alan 100% here too

The Squier, going by both your comments on having played it and liked it, plus the continued appreciation of other Basschatters. I had a Squier Affinity P-Bass as a backup bass for a while, and was amazed at the quality and playability for a so-called entry-level instrument.

Thanks for the comments, much appreciated. When i wrote the post the answer seemed pretty obvious, more than it had in my head. With all the comments you have made added to that it seems pretty straight forward. I'll be picking up me squier jag tomorrow. Very excited. Despite the fact that you don't know me at all and it will probably be of little to no interest to you, i'll let you know how it goes when i get it.

Alan, does your pic suggest timness? If so it means you're clearly a wise man who should be listened to.