Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliot V6's are like buses.......

jonnyfastfingers

Sold my Ampeg VR Classic a few months ago intent on getting myself a Trace V4, V6 or V8.

There has been nothing going and so getting twitchy I recently acquired from 3Below on here his beastly Marshall VBA400 and matching Marshall 2x15 cab which sounds amazing. IMHO it sounds better than my Ampeg which I played through SVT810 cab, doesn't sound as muddy yet retains growl.

Anyway just seen 2 different Trace V6's on eVilbay today, what are the odds of that?!?!

Part of me thinks get one as it's been a dream of mine for years, but I'm now so happy with the Marshall Illl probably regret it.

[quote name='jonnyfastfingers' post='1038428' date='Nov 26 2010, 11:39 PM']Sold my Ampeg VR Classic a few months ago intent on getting myself a Trace V4, V6 or V8.

There has been nothing going and so getting twitchy I recently acquired from 3Below on here his beastly Marshall VBA400 and matching Marshall 2x15 cab which sounds amazing. IMHO it sounds better than my Ampeg which I played through SVT810 cab, doesn't sound as muddy yet retains growl.

Anyway just seen 2 different Trace V6's on eVilbay today, what are the odds of that?!?!

Part of me thinks get one as it's been a dream of mine for years, but I'm now so happy with the Marshall Illl probably regret it.[/quote]

Just my opinion but i think the v4 was the gem of that lot, the v6 and v8 are very heavy, and dare i say it overkill for most things these days (400watts valve power) and the cabinet of the amps are made out of rice paper they just fall to bits. 6 and 8 kt88 matched is quite a lot of money these days as they need pretty good ones! v4 is plent loud enough for anything and they are a bit more plentiful and more reasonably priced. I thought these where the nuts at one time until i heard a matamp!

Edited by dan670844

[quote name='dan670844' post='1040301' date='Nov 28 2010, 07:17 PM']Just my opinion but i think the v4 was the gem of that lot, the v6 and v8 are very heavy, and dare i say it overkill for most things these days (400watts valve power) and the cabinet of the amps are made out of rice paper they just fall to bits. 6 and 8 kt88 matched is quite a lot of money these days as they need pretty good ones! v4 is plent loud enough for anything and they are a bit more plentiful and more reasonably priced. I thought these where the nuts at one time until i heard a matamp![/quote]

+1 on the V4, for the reasons you mention and the V4 and V8 have the better pre amp and the valve compressor. Oh and bringing Matamp into the equation is just unfair.

• 1 year later...

I swapped my old vba400 for my V4 (mark 2) that i have now and i never looked back and find it hard to look past it. best amp i have played through! mine sounds clear as crystal and filthy as a gangbang depending on what you want. well it doesnt at the moment as a valve went crazy and has blown some bits up inside. (waiting to see what it actually is). Doubt i will ever get rid of this as its just perfect.

Edited by longtimefred