Why become a member? ×

Bridge question?

chilievans

[quote name='chilievans' post='1038237' date='Nov 26 2010, 08:23 PM']What are the advantages (if any) of having bridge made of seperate individual pieces fitted?[/quote]

Not sure what you mean by that ? however Gotoh /Badass/Hipshot/ Schaller are all better that a std BBOT style bridge. As long as it fairly high mass and density and has enough throw to cover any intonation issues, style is a matter of personal preferance.

[quote name='The Burpster' post='1038248' date='Nov 26 2010, 08:33 PM']Not sure what you mean by that ? however Gotoh /Badass/Hipshot/ Schaller are all better that a std BBOT style bridge. As long as it fairly high mass and density and has enough throw to cover any intonation issues, style is a matter of personal preferance.[/quote]
Not sure what the type of bridge is called but the strings each fit into individual units like on the ibanez btb670 and such

I doubt if you'll get anyone to agree with this because it goes against bass bridge urban myth and word of mouth hocus-pocus but I built myself a Jazz with individual bridges - it sustains forever... why I don't know and why you'd want a bass to sustain for ever I don't know either but it's there if you want it.
I've seen Jon put Schaller 2000's on some of his basses. If you're down with the chunky modern look get him to put one on yours. They are fantastic bridges, tonnes of mass (for it's small footprint), fantastically adjustable and very handy with how the strings top load into it.
I had one waiting to go onto my next build but a genuine G&L bridge came up before I got a chance to install it. It will go onto my next bass though. :)

Edited by Ou7shined

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1038256' date='Nov 26 2010, 08:39 PM']Has the decision been made for certain now then? Shuker it is then. Any of the bridges other than the BBOT seem pretty good to me and there are many who even love them too. Im sure shuker will only put something suitable and decent on one of his basses anyway.[/quote]

deffinately a shuker bud. I phoned up Jon earlier and he gave me a cracking deal :)

By the way whats a BBOT bridge?

[quote name='chilievans' post='1038237' date='Nov 26 2010, 08:23 PM']I'm getting a custom bass and I'm wondering what type of bridge to put on it.

Its a shuker jazz classic and at the moment its having a gotoh bridge fitted

What are the advantages (if any) of having bridge made of seperate individual pieces fitted?[/quote]

I've got individual bridge pieces on my Shuker. I think the idea is that they allow the string to vibrate without any connection to the saddles for the other strings, supposedly giving a more defined sound. To be honest, while they look cool, I doubt they make any real difference to the sound.

[quote name='simon1964' post='1038265' date='Nov 26 2010, 08:47 PM']I've got individual bridge pieces on my Shuker. I think the idea is that they allow the string to vibrate without any connection to the saddles for the other strings, supposedly giving a more defined sound. [b]To be honest, while they look cool, I doubt they make any real difference to the sound.[/b][/quote]
See. :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1038339' date='Nov 26 2010, 09:58 PM']Now you know what a BBOT is you should know the universal put down of "Slap a badass on it!" Which refers to the the badass bridge and its common solution in many circumstances since the 70's (I think) FWIW They are actually good but large.Every day is a school day at BC![/quote]

Knowledge is power dude

FWIW?

Enlighten me bud :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1038370' date='Nov 26 2010, 10:23 PM']Can we see some pics of a similar Shuker then? Ta[/quote]

[url="http://www.shukerguitars.co.uk/stock.htm"]http://www.shukerguitars.co.uk/stock.htm[/url]

4string jass classic

the pheonix red one half way down

Very nice and the Gotoh looks alright to me ,The little grooves that the saddles slide in to reduce latteral movement is the improvement over the BBOT. The badass is more workman like but would spoil the look on the shuker IMO where as its so prominent on old skool Fenders its almost part of the look for many, Me included hence the one on my Jazz. The price looks good too especially if you have had an even better deal that the screen price. Good work.

[quote name='simon1964' post='1038265' date='Nov 26 2010, 12:47 PM']I've got individual bridge pieces on my Shuker. I think the idea is that they allow the string to vibrate without any connection to the saddles for the other strings, supposedly giving a more defined sound. To be honest, while they look cool, I doubt they make any real difference to the sound.[/quote]
I hear them referred to as "monorail" bridges. While they have advantages in being able to customize the string number and spacing the myths that they eliminate crosstalk and isolate one string from another can easily be debunked by a basic understanding of physics and advertising. If they did isolate one string from another they would also isolate the strings from the wood to achieve this amazing fix to a problem that never existed. They're all bolted to the same block of wood, there is no isolation beyond the faux appearance of isolation.

So IMO buy them if you like them but don't expect any real world tone advantages.

[quote name='Vibrating G String' post='1038452' date='Nov 27 2010, 12:22 AM']I hear them referred to as "monorail" bridges. While they have advantages in being able to customize the string number and spacing the myths that they eliminate crosstalk and isolate one string from another can easily be debunked by a basic understanding of physics and advertising. If they did isolate one string from another they would also isolate the strings from the wood to achieve this amazing fix to a problem that never existed. They're all bolted to the same block of wood, there is no isolation beyond the faux appearance of isolation.

So IMO buy them if you like them but don't expect any real world tone advantages.[/quote]

That's what I was trying to say(but I've always been hopeless at physics) :)

The monorails on my Shuker work fine to be fair. And are way better than the infamous BBOT. Badass is a good choice too, but for a Jazz shaped bass the Gotoh 201 is a great choice. They have the traditional Fender look but with more mass than a standard Fender bridge (and do give more punch and sustain).

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1038370' date='Nov 26 2010, 10:23 PM']Can we see some pics of a similar Shuker then? Ta[/quote]
There is also a very desirable shuker jazz in the for sale section

Its grey and black with a maple board

Very smart

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=64097"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?act=attach...st&id=64097[/url]

Edited by chilievans