Why become a member? ×

long scale strings not very long if you ask me

lettsguitars

i struggle to find strings that are long enough for my builds. i only do 34" at the minute and even then, ernie ball 'long scale' are barely long enough to deal with a bridge/tailpiece setup. obviously companies only cater for basses with standard hardtail designs where the saddles are very close to the anchors. i made a 36" once and couldn't find anything near long enough. now, i plan on making 35", 36", and 38" scale in the long term and can see a huge problem in finding the right strings. companies never state the actual wound length of the string and on my 34's from tail to nut is 36". any suggestions? i mean, how about a string through? what then i ask you? i believe a standup is around the 40" mark, thats a proper length for a bass note in my book. what g'wan?

[quote name='lettsguitars' post='1037283' date='Nov 26 2010, 01:34 AM']i struggle to find strings that are long enough for my builds. i only do 34" at the minute and even then, ernie ball 'long scale' are barely long enough to deal with a bridge/tailpiece setup. obviously companies only cater for basses with standard hardtail designs where the saddles are very close to the anchors. i made a 36" once and couldn't find anything near long enough. now, i plan on making 35", 36", and 38" scale in the long term and can see a huge problem in finding the right strings. companies never state the actual wound length of the string and on my 34's from tail to nut is 36". any suggestions? i mean, how about a string through? what then i ask you? i believe a standup is around the 40" mark, thats a proper length for a bass note in my book. what g'wan?[/quote]

I've just measured these at 36.5" silk to silk & they're fine on my 35" scale Skjold, (Hipshot bridge top loaded).

Edited by KiOgon

What about Overwater? I've used their strings on a 35" scale instrument, they fitted well. They make instruments with 36" scale lengths, so I'm sure if you asked them they would be able to deliver something that would work for that too. Good strings at a good price.

Jennifer