Why become a member? ×

gibson thunderbird iv/studio

larrikin

i would buy that one but i can get a sunburst easy, i REALLY want a white one!! most shops in the US won't ship over any gibson products for some strange reason...

i have a ebony studio at the moment and am looking to upgrade, i love my studio but it is just a tad too heavy (and curvy)

[quote name='larrikin' post='120779' date='Jan 15 2008, 01:38 PM']i'm looking for a white IV but can't find one anywhere, the distributers for the UK is a company called rossetti who are useless, they say that white IV's are only available on special order...[/quote]

There's a white one for a grand in Sound Control, Nottingham. I've just spotted it looking through their clearance list.

About 1/4 of the way down [url="http://clearance.soundcontrol.co.uk/index.php"]this[/url] page!

[quote name='mike257' post='152423' date='Mar 6 2008, 03:13 PM']There's a white one for a grand in Sound Control, Nottingham. I've just spotted it looking through their clearance list.

About 1/4 of the way down [url="http://clearance.soundcontrol.co.uk/index.php"]this[/url] page![/quote]

just my luck, phone to buy it and it had gone!! FOR FU*K SAKE!!!!!! am i EVER going to get one?!!?!?!?!?!!?

but thanks for lettin us know man

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='169267' date='Apr 3 2008, 04:47 PM']Thomann have them in stock in white [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/epiphone_thunderbird_iv_ltd_edition_aw.htm"]here[/url]![/quote]

thats not a bad price for a white one.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='169267' date='Apr 3 2008, 04:47 PM']Thomann have them in stock in white [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/epiphone_thunderbird_iv_ltd_edition_aw.htm"]here[/url]![/quote]

Thanks, but I'm looking for a Gibson, not Epi.

• 2 months later...

[quote name='rockinrayduke' post='123483' date='Jan 20 2008, 04:01 AM']The US Birds have Gibson's TBPlus pickups whereas the Epi version has Korean pickups that bear very little resemblance tone and soundwise to the US version. The Epibirds have a pretty good sound on their own IMO (sounds very P-Bassish, liked the one I had) but nothing like a Gibson.[/quote]

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't the EpiBirds have Alder bodies and maple/rosewood necks (Very Fender in a wood selection sense) and the Gibsons Mahogany bodies and necks with Ebony fingerboard? I know the studio models are fitted rather than through necks and dont know much about them to be honest. I would expect this combined with the fact that the pups are different would make them sound quite different (not better or worse, just different).

[quote name='Freuds_Cat' post='220357' date='Jun 17 2008, 08:42 AM']Correct me if I'm wrong but don't the EpiBirds have Alder bodies and maple/rosewood necks (Very Fender in a wood selection sense) and the Gibsons Mahogany bodies and necks with Ebony fingerboard? I know the studio models are fitted rather than through necks and dont know much about them to be honest. I would expect this combined with the fact that the pups are different would make them sound quite different (not better or worse, just different).[/quote]
__________________________________________________________________________________

The 'standard' Epibirds are indeed Alder bodied with Maple necks - the Gothic & Nikki Sixx models have Mahogany bodies and rock maple necks, the Goth has TB plus ceramic pups while the Nikki Sixx model is equiped with 'Deepsixx' humbuckers (and no tone control whatsoever). I had a Goth for a while, and it sounded massive through an SWR Redhead....... Oh no! GAS......... :)