Why become a member? ×

Höfner Verithin Bass 1964 - Almost back in Service!

Baxter

Hi Burrito - it has got a story attached.

The bass was my dad's from new. It was refinished in black in the early 70's as the original red nitro finish was wearing down to the wood, I guess it wasn't a very strong laquer! He replaced it with a Fender Jazz bass in 1976 - which he still plays BTW, but it will be mine someday - Sometime in the late 70s the Hofner was half heartedly stripped down as future project but dissapeared from sight and mind. It turned up a few months back when the loft insulation at my parents house was getting redone. I claimed it and gave it to George Russell, local luthier, and he reckoned it was worth saving and gave me projected cost which was within my means - so he got to work. It is still running the original pickups, but all the other electrics were shot and needed replaced. It still has the original tailpiece too. Replacement parts are repro scratchplate, truss cover and knobs. A set of genuine 1960s tuners and new genuine Hofner bridge
George has re fretted and cleaned up the neck. Added marker dots to the upper neck binding. Refinished the entire guitar with a slightly aged look to match the tarnished original chromework and tobacco stained binding, items that we weren't willing to replace. So it looks like an old guitar in really good order.
Should be getting it this week, the earlier the better - I've a gig in the ABC in Glasgow and I want to give it a whirl then, even just for a couple of songs.

• 2 weeks later...