Why become a member? ×

Pickups for a MIM Jazz

throwoff

Hey guys,

My ebay buy MIM jazz is now on route and despite it shipping with Duncan Designed pickups I will most likely want to upgrade.
I'm familiar with the p/ups in it from a VM jazz and they are great but have a little too much top end for me.

I use a 1/4 pounder SD in my P bass, I know they make a Jazz set, does anyone have experience with them or have any other suggestions?

The only Jazz pickup I`ve ever changed to was from the stock bridge Fender one in an Aerodyne, to a Seymour Duncan Hot Stack. Suppose its all dependent on what yr after, but at the time, I was looking for that Duff McKagan sound, and this nailed it. Two Hot Stacks - I imagine that would sound nice.

Well I play mostly punk and rock but I have recently been asked to join a folky singer/songwriter who plays acoustic.
I am looking for something quite warm and not too harsh or bitey.
I bought the J for this act as my MM and P are both very in your face and want something a bit more mellow and rounded.

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1031679' date='Nov 21 2010, 06:46 PM']May be worth contacting Wizard pickups then, lots of people really rate them on here, and apparently if you tell the guy (Andy I believe) what yr after, he`ll come up with a good recommendation.[/quote]
Give him a ring, he's been really helpful with me. Failing that I too am a huge Seymour Duncan fan :) The SD website guides you with what tonal changes to expect

Are you even gonna play it before you rip them out of the bass?

I find the p'ups in my MiM Jazz as sweet and they can go through some pretty powerful adjustments with just the knobs.

I'd play them a month or so and give them a try before I'd plunk down some greenbacks and just perform roadside surgery on a bass that may not need any changes at all.

Just me though.

If I were upgrading the pickups in a bass and I'd be looking at two options; EMG and Bartolini.

They're both fantastic brands as I'm sure you'd know. The Barts would suit better for finger funk and the EMG's better for slap and that sort of thing. I don't think it'd be possible to be disappointed with the results either way!

[quote name='throwoff' post='1032032' date='Nov 21 2010, 10:52 PM']I will mate, was hoping to tonight (I think thats when u invited me) but some stuff came up.

Ill explain next time i see you on fb[/quote]

No worries man.

It was Saturday night, Jordan, Lucas and Gower, was a laugh had a kick about yesterday afternoon too.

Anyway yes come over whenever mate.