Why become a member? ×

Another VM-Jazz Version?

Circle_of_Fifths

I think the point is that they're amazing basses, [i]for the money[/i]. I'd never call a squier VMJ an amazing bass, but for the money, you're really hard pushed to find a bass that is better built, better looking, better sounding, better feeling etc. The higher end Fenders are very subjective in that way, and I'm not too fond of them.

Edited by budget bassist

I totally suck at photoshopping or editing in anyway,paint does the job for me.

I reckon squier should make this!

Basically squier jazz special walnut body,with a vintage modified jazz neck.Its gorgeous!

Why hasn't it been made? :) I was considering a project like this myself,would be very easy to do.

[quote name='Circle_of_Fifths' post='1042492' date='Nov 30 2010, 03:57 PM']I also play an older Precision with the wider neck, so it's not just that I cannot - but I actually prefer to have a bass with the neck profile and finish I like better than just the width. It's on a case-by-case evaluation for me, as I expect a Jazz to have a narrow neck and a Precision the fatter of the two.

Somewhat sarcastically here - the fret board area of the Marcus Miller felt almost as rounded as the back of the neck, and I find that very uncomfortable.

As for the chrome guards - that was obviously in my way, and to take it off would be sad to me. First - THE HOLES! Second - I PAID FOR THAT 1953 HUDSON BUMPER so why would I remove it?

I am upset by seeing holes in gear - it looks like it's been a target for small caliber handguns and I don't care for that look. Don't EVEN show me a chip on your guitar either! I guess this indicates how I feel about RW and relic'd gear too.

Actually - I know we all whore for one desire or another - some: tone, some: price tags, some: name plates, some: cosmetics. Maybe I'm an anal-retentive iconoclast of sorts, but I like my gear to look new and strive to keep them that way.

Having excess holes and tinted shadows were something was installed showing in the woodwork makes me cringe a little.

Anyway - <off soapbox now> I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of the Reggie Hamilton at GC on Dec 29th, this year (hopefully) and then I'll see if it's time to buy another bass.[/quote]

Heheh, I respect your quirks :) Different strokes and all that. I suppose I wouldn't count holes as not looking 'new'. But I thought things like the 75RI (and I'd assumed others) came with the chrome in the box rather than mounted and you had to drill it yourself? I could be wrong, and maybe the shops add it on themselves.

I don't get what you mean about the P versus J neck though - the modern P's I've played have had thin profiles, no real difference in that respect to a jazz but they have the wider string spacing at the nut. I just mentioned the Geddy Lee since it's got the usual jazz string spacing but is unusually narrow front to back unlike the typical vintage necks. Regarding the gloss, with your wish to keep things new you probably would baulk at the thought, but I wouldn't hesitate to take some 2000 wet'n'dry to the neck - it'll give a great clean satin finish and I'd just buff it to a shine again if I decided I didn't like it :)

But all that's immaterial if you've found what you like anyway and don't have to tinker. Personally, the thing I liked about the VM jazz I tried was the warm, lively acoustic sound thanks to the soft maple body, and looking at photos of other people's some even seem to be 2-piece. But only the natural fretted has that which is a real shame. Agathis (on the 77 and Jag I think) IME sounds pretty dreadful, not my wood of choice for a passive bass and to me at least it seriously limits their upgrade potential.

Edited by LawrenceH

[quote name='LawrenceH' post='1042968' date='Nov 30 2010, 02:12 PM']Heheh, I respect your quirks :) Different strokes and all that. I suppose I wouldn't count holes as not looking 'new'. But I thought things like the 75RI (and I'd assumed others) came with the chrome in the box rather than mounted and you had to drill it yourself? I could be wrong, and maybe the shops add it on themselves.

I don't get what you mean about the P versus J neck though - the modern P's I've played have had thin profiles, no real difference in that respect to a jazz but they have the wider string spacing at the nut. I just mentioned the Geddy Lee since it's got the usual jazz string spacing but is unusually narrow front to back unlike the typical vintage necks. Regarding the gloss, with your wish to keep things new you probably would baulk at the thought, but I wouldn't hesitate to take some 2000 wet'n'dry to the neck - it'll give a great clean satin finish and I'd just buff it to a shine again if I decided I didn't like it :)

But all that's immaterial if you've found what you like anyway and don't have to tinker. Personally, the thing I liked about the VM jazz I tried was the warm, lively acoustic sound thanks to the soft maple body, and looking at photos of other people's some even seem to be 2-piece. But only the natural fretted has that which is a real shame. Agathis (on the 77 and Jag I think) IME sounds pretty dreadful, not my wood of choice for a passive bass and to me at least it seriously limits their upgrade potential.[/quote]

Come to think of it - you've got a point as I too thought the hardware was packaged but not installed too.

The Marcus Miller on the hook at GC had it mounted and I might have just assumed it comes all put together. Maybe - maybe not, I'm confused now. I'll try to call Fender in the morning and ask.

Regarding the duller-than-semi-gloss neck you like - I go the opposite and take some paste carnauba wax and really polish it into the back of the neck to make it as slick as I can. But that's me!

After ten or more coats of highly pressure-buffed carnauba treatments, for all intents it [u]is[/u] a super glossy urethane or epoxy neck then.

Oddly - my Jaguar is 8lbs exactly - and that's 2ozs less than my SR500 and ½lb lighter than my VM-J and my Precision and my MiM Deluxe Jazz is the heaviest at 9lb 9ozs. So the Jag is the lightest and I think that's great for me - because usually when it rains soup all I have is a fork.

My theory on woods is that they take away, never add to the tone. Some may argue that Agathis is better at certain sonic improvements, when in my world, it only takes away certain characteristics and leaves other alone. By ablating MIDs, f'rinstance - the Highs and Lows would be more pronounced, although never amplified.

Wood is passive in this situation unlike a resonant box.

If you like the certain ablative quality of one wood over another - that's fine but I cringe when people say it adds to the tone.

Wood taketh away; never addith!

Edited by Circle_of_Fifths

I like the VM stuff, but I actually think the Classic Vibe stuff is the better series to go for. Maybe some will disagree, but they just seem to be that little bit nicer finished and they all tend to have gloss necks which gives them that more expensive feel.

[quote name='Circle_of_Fifths' post='1043119' date='Nov 30 2010, 11:09 PM']Oddly - my Jaguar is 8lbs exactly - and that's 2ozs less than my SR500 and ½lb lighter than my VM-J and my Precision and my MiM Deluxe Jazz is the heaviest at 9lb 9ozs. So the Jag is the lightest and I think that's great for me - because usually when it rains soup all I have is a fork.[/quote]

What's the balance like on the Jaguar? I know they have a slightly shorter upper horn so I wondered if there was any neck dive at all?

I really wish Squier would get round to making a VM or CV Mustang bass!

[quote name='flip' post='1043572' date='Dec 1 2010, 04:34 AM']What's the balance like on the Jaguar? I know they have a slightly shorter upper horn so I wondered if there was any neck dive at all?

I really wish Squier would get round to making a VM or CV Mustang bass![/quote]

Strange you should ask that - but the horn isn't really shorter by much if you count the fret-position of it, just incrementally so.

The Jag ends in the middle of the #12 fret wire, whilst the Deluxe and the VM-Jazz are right smack-dab in the middle of the fingerboard between #11 & #12 fret wires.

However, the bone at the E string to the tip of the horn is somewhat different:::

VM-Jazz & Fender deluxe Jazz = 16.5" and the Jaguar is 17.75".

The body length on them is somewhat different too, as the Jag just fits into my hardcase albeit tightly.

The VM-Jag is 47" long and the other two are 46" long. Just FYI, my Precision is 45.5" long.

I don't 'fell' neck dive much, if at all. The whole bass feels smaller, like I said and it's more like a short scale when you play it, it's so comfortable.

[quote name='Toad2010' post='1042698' date='Nov 30 2010, 06:17 PM']I totally suck at photoshopping or editing in anyway,paint does the job for me.

I reckon squier should make this!

Basically squier jazz special walnut body,with a vintage modified jazz neck.Its gorgeous!

Why hasn't it been made? :) I was considering a project like this myself,would be very easy to do.[/quote]

I'd buy that! That's gorgeous, love that walnut colour on the Jazz.

I think the great thing about the VM and Classic Vibes series is you are starting off with a decently built bass and for a small outlay it can be upgraded to the quality of an american series. I myself have recently decided to sell off my high end basses and purchased a couple of Squiers to upgrade.

I have now managed to turn the Natural VM Jazz into a 75ri in all but name. Changing the pups to DiMarzio Ultra Jazz, the bridge to a Gotoh 201, removed the horrible chrome control knobs to the classic black skirted ones. Added a pup guard ala Marcus Miller and bought some 75ri tuners from Gumtree the changes are stunning its one of the nicest basses I have played and for the price of a MIM. I may even look at changing the neck as I have no intention of selling her and wouldn't get back what I paid but it was a real pleasure to finish this project.

Just got a Squier P for £175 with duncan quarter pounders, a Jazz neck (supposedly a Fender mim but have my doubts) Schaller tuners. It needs some tlc and rework as the pups have a buzz when cranked up and I might change the neck as the frets do not have a lot of life left in them but it should be a pretty decent P when I am finished.

[quote name='bassatnight' post='1044806' date='Dec 2 2010, 10:55 AM']I have now managed to turn the Natural VM Jazz into a 75ri in all but name. Changing the pups to DiMarzio Ultra Jazz, the bridge to a Gotoh 201, removed the horrible chrome control knobs to the classic black skirted ones. Added a pup guard ala Marcus Miller and bought some 75ri tuners from Gumtree the changes are stunning its one of the nicest basses I have played and for the price of a MIM. I may even look at changing the neck as I have no intention of selling her and wouldn't get back what I paid but it was a real pleasure to finish this project.[/quote]

One more trick: add Sadowsky knobs and it will look boo-teek. I got asked about my MIM 60th P all the time after I changed the knobs.

[quote name='Circle_of_Fifths' post='1039435' date='Nov 27 2010, 11:56 PM']Not quite true. The VMs are the ones flying here in Southern California - especially the Jaguars once they play it.[/quote]

That does surprise me. The VM series are IMO great basses, but the CV's are as good as entry level basses get. The construction is fantastic, the fit and finish is leagues ahead of the VM series IMO.

I think the new VM jazz looks lovely. I'm a sucker for blocked necks like that and it's in another classic colour.

I always wonder what will happen to the price of Squier VM and CV models in 20-30 years. I actually love my sonic blue CV precision to death (it's actually now become my ONLY precision bass such is the quality and feel of it) and whileI tend to bugger about with my basses I'm keeping this one totally stock.

Anyone think we may have a JV squier style price hike in a few decades? It does seem squier are producing more instruments than they used to so these won't be as rare but JV squier series instruments are expensive now simply because musicians know they are quality and it's no secret the same is true of these current squiers.