Why become a member? ×

Cant get a nice smooth CTS pot

dave_bass5

In the quest to upgrade my CV P I'm trying to find a CTS pot that's as smooth as the stock ones.
So far I've brought two solid shafts from one place and a split shaft from another and none of them have a smooth action.
All the basses I've owned, including the current ones, have had nice smooth pots.

It's not how I'm installling them as I can feel this by just turning them in my hand.

I've just ordered a vintage style one to see if that's any better but after that I'm giving up. I have these in my HW-one and they are very smooth so I'm hoping I get lucky.

Am I expecting too much? I know it's not the end of the world, and I don't really use the volum knob mich anyway but it's just an annoying that the cheap Squier ones are better.
I've read so many mentions of these pots that I can't believe I can't get a smooth one.

There was a thread around here recently discussing something like 'is it worth replacing all the electrics on a classic vibe bass', or something very similar. I recall Pots were discussed there, along with the quality of different makes.

Perhaps someone remembers that one. Sorry can't be more specific

T

Cheers guys.

I think it was my thread about changing the Squier electrics. I had decided not to but managed to damage the volume pot when I changed the pickup so I had no choice but to get a new pot. The Squier ones are really nice but i found them small and fiddly to work with.

The point is that I've had, and have, basses that have got CTS pots and they are very nice and smooth. It's the ones ive brought that I'm having issues with.

Edited by dave_bass5

A lot of the 'feel' of a pot comes from the weight (viscosity) of the grease between the shaft and the inside of the bush. You could try opening the pots up (bend the little tabs back carefully) pulling the shaft out and putting some lighter grease in.

Alternatively, squirt a good skoosh of switch cleaner into the pot, hold it shaft down and turn the shaft back and forth. Should dilute the grease a bit and flush some out, allowing an easier action. I don't guarantee it'll work on all pots, but it seems to on a lot of them. (I found this out when I was de-crackling an old mixing desk)

Downside - a bit hit and miss as to whether you get the feel you want. Upside - unlikely to do the pot any harm even if it doesn't work.

A

Hi

Just having a nosey through this thread.

Im going to be starting a project soon and hope its not a daft question but are these pots:

[url="http://www.wdmusic.co.uk/category/Electronics/Pots,b.html?page=1&sortBy=AlphabeticalAsc"]http://www.wdmusic.co.uk/category/Electron...AlphabeticalAsc[/url]

suitable for both bass and guitar use??? i know about the ratings i.e 250K 500k etc; is this the only thing thats important?

Its for a jazz bass project.

Cheers, Rob

[quote name='stevebasshead' post='1037768' date='Nov 26 2010, 01:44 PM']If you use the squirty electronics cleaner stuff make sure you get the one with lube in it, there's different formulations for different purposes and pots ideally need the lubed version.[/quote]

Hi, use Deoxit (expensive but very good) or Peavey Funk out (got deoxit in). They dont have aggressive solvents in them and wont attack any of the plastic components in the pot or dissolve the grease which gives the pot its smooth feel. Deoxit is also very good at resurecting the most crackly sounding pot and is great for cleaning any sockets and connections.
Cheers Just