Why become a member? ×

Fret buzz

thunderbird13

Sorry if this is in the wrong place but I hope its a simple question. I was playing my new 5 string bass which I got off ebay a few weeks ago, everything was OK until I hit the 9th fret in the D string its the worse fret buzz I've ever heard just a huge clanging sound. The strange thing is everything else sounds OK and the fret feels smooth. The strings are new roundwounds , I'm guessing medium guage. Am I right in thinking this is just fret buzz and change the strings and it that doesnt work sand the fret a bit to get rid of it. TBH its the first time I've come across something like this on a bass

Try putting something with a straight edge, like a ruler but shorter, long enough to cover three frets, say on 6-7-8, see if it will rock when you put weight on either end, then 7-8-9, same again. See if there is a notiable gap on 9 if you put it on 8-9-10. Put it on 9-10-11 and see if it rocks when you put weight on 9 and see if it's fine on 10-11-12

That will let you know if the frets are the problem - ie if 9 is low or if 10 is high. You don't want to file a bit off 10 and then have that buzz off 11.

Edited by Doctor J

[quote name='thunderbird13' post='1021528' date='Nov 12 2010, 03:01 PM']cheers for that - that sounds quite simple[/quote]

Don't forget that once you have filed the nut down to a suitable height, it needs to be polished off to remove any roughness that the file (inevitably) leaves behind.
If you don't then you're going to get string wear at that point.

I use a small oilstone to give it a final polish.

[quote name='paul h' post='1022391' date='Nov 13 2010, 01:47 PM']To do it properly you need a straight edge that covers three frets at a time. A fret rocker has a different sized edges so that you can do this all over the neck.[/quote]
That is why the fret rocker is so useful. Great bit of kit isn't it Paul.

Alistair, sounds like a high fret to me.

[quote name='paul h' post='1022391' date='Nov 13 2010, 01:47 PM']To do it properly you need a straight edge that covers three frets at a time. A fret rocker has a different sized edges so that you can do this all over the neck.[/quote]

Steel ruler plus hacksaw?

I'm such a cheapskate! :)