Why become a member? ×

'78 / '79 MIA Fender Precision * TRADED *

Shaggy

I need to raise some funds soon-ish, so grim as selling times are I’m listing my current main gigging “squeeze”.

Just to be clear; this is not an all-original “factory” bass, but at its heart is a MIA ‘78/’79 Fender Precision body and fretless neck; both with original finish (other than the playing surface of the fingerboard – see below) with no aftermarket routes, holes, fills, or otherwise messed with. The pickguard / pick-up / electrics assembly and bridge are modern, but are top-of-the-range “vintage” upgrade components, almost all Fender-made. Now only a couple of US-based companies make the proper (& expensive) vintage-spec cellulose tort p/guards.
Result is a P bass that is the classiest looking, nicest playing, sweetest sounding that I’ve ever played.

Just to confuse things further; this is currently fitted with a very lovely mid-‘80’s MIJ Fender fretted rosewood neck. Reason being that I acquired a Wal Mk1 Custom fretless in the summer; so fab fretless as the P was it just wasn’t being used; but as a fretted bass it totally shines - has that vintage P bass “sock-in-the-gut” punch, depth and growl that nothing else quite duplicates. Sorry, the older pics with the fretless neck fitted are a bit crap (& wrong bridge - see below) so I've added some of the now detatched neck. Neck / body pocket fit for both necks is spot-on, and screw-hole line up identical for both on original holes.

To summarise specs;

[list]
[*]Body; 1979 MIA Fender; ash with original natural poly finish, slightly worn here and there but in overall great nick. Lovely grain, with a bit of “flame” Original strap buttons. Original cavity screening intact, can post extra pics.
[*]Fretless neck; 1978 MIA Fender; one-piece maple fretless with walnut “skunk” stripe. Original poly finish in near-mint condition; playing surface of board recently re-finished by Martin Simms – flawlessly smooth and blends seamlessly into the original finish. Barely marked – has only ever been strung with flats since the board re-finish.
[*]Fretted neck; Mid-‘80’s MIJ Fender; maple with fretted rosewood slab board, again in near-mint condition. Currently fitted with side fret-lights (see pic) that are easily removable without marking the finish - I find them really useful - and strung with medium nickel rounds.
[*]Tuners and string tree (incl bushes & screws); original to the1978 fretless neck, “Fender” logo stamped (tuners)
[*]Neck plate; chrome Fender “F” logo 4-hole. (I also have a ’73 Fender “F” plate with stamped serial no available, but would be a tad extra)
[*]Bridge; Fender chrome” aged” unit with knurled-saddles, slot-screw adjust; imported by me from US (NB; not the one shown in pic with fretless neck – that was a generic one fitted temporarily whilst I was waiting for the Fender one).
[*]P/up & bridge covers; Fender chromed; imported by me from US.
[*]Pickup; Fender ’62 RI (alnico V, vintage-spec enamelled wire windings, cloth braided connecting wires etc; as fitted to Fender custom-shop and ‘60’s RI basses). Surprisingly hot output for a supposedly vintage unit, very clear and focussed sound.
[*]Pickguard; WD Music vintage 7-ply cellulose tortoiseshell
[*]Electrics; US-made CTS pots, Switchcraft jack, orange drop capacitor, all period-correct black & white cloth-braided wires.
[*]Control knobs; WD Music chromed brass dome (period / model correct)
[*]Thumbrest; blond maple of unknown pedigree.
[/list]

Pricing reflects that it’s not an original bass, priced rather below what it cost me to source the vintage and upgrade parts; and substantially less than if were done now. Plus you’d never find a vintage maple fretless neck this good if you searched forever! So, options;

[list=1]
[*]Bass fitted with fretless neck; £750
[*]Bass fitted with fretted neck; £600 (in which case I’d replace the tuners with modern Fender ones to keep the ’78 tuners with the ’78 neck)
[*]Bass with both necks; £900 – the ultimate do-it-all vintage P!
[/list]
Collected from Swansea (or would travel up M4 a way for fuel costs), or plus insured postage. Shipped in your choice of Stagg ABS plush-lined hard-case in great nick, or brand new Warwick Rockbag deluxe padded gig-bag with shoulder-straps etc.

Already making a loss and happy to keep so prices are firm, and thanks but no trade offers.
PM me with any interest / queries.

cheers, Greg

Edited by Shaggy

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='1023418' date='Nov 14 2010, 02:20 PM']:) That fretless neck looks brand new![/quote]

Too right it does, I don't know it's long-term history but it can hardly have been played. Can take pics of heel etc if needed

[quote name='Stag' post='1023491' date='Nov 14 2010, 03:19 PM']Wow... you do have one hell of a stable Greg!!! Gor' blimey guvnor...[/quote]

I call it a stable of thoroughbreds, she calls it a festering pile of junk........... :lol:

You've got a few choice ones yourself there Steve, at least one of which I've got my eye on :)