Why become a member? ×

String tension advice

franzbassist

Hello all

General bit of advice please, from those more versed in the dark art of upright than my nascent fublings....

I was using Silver Slaps on my Aria EUB and absolutely loved the tone, feel and tension of those strings. However, the BSX 5 string I've just taken delivery off came strung with Spirocore Weich, which while quite nice don't have the same "grip" under the finger and also have a higher tension.

Due to the small body, the tailpiece is much closer to the bridge, even though the scale is 41.5", and as such the BSX uses 1/2 scale strings for EADG and a 3/4 scale string for the low B (this string is furthest from the nut, above the E and A tuners).

Innovation don't make Silver Slap in a 1/2 scale (yes, I have asked) and I'm pretty sure a custom Silver Slap low B would be too floppy and unarticulate, so since they also have a synthetic core I was wondering if a set of Innovation Honeys would be a suitable halfway house between Silver Slaps and Spiro Weich in terms of tension? Or is there anything else out there that can give me "grip" and low tension in a 1/2 scale?

Cheers

Gareth

[quote name='walbassist' post='1019531' date='Nov 10 2010, 11:47 PM']Hello all

General bit of advice please, from those more versed in the dark art of upright than my nascent fublings....

I was using Silver Slaps on my Aria EUB and absolutely loved the tone, feel and tension of those strings. However, the BSX 5 string I've just taken delivery off came strung with Spirocore Weich, which while quite nice don't have the same "grip" under the finger and also have a higher tension.

Due to the small body, the tailpiece is much closer to the bridge, even though the scale is 41.5", and as such the BSX uses 1/2 scale strings for EADG and a 3/4 scale string for the low B (this string is furthest from the nut, above the E and A tuners).

Innovation don't make Silver Slap in a 1/2 scale (yes, I have asked) and I'm pretty sure a custom Silver Slap low B would be too floppy and unarticulate, so since they also have a synthetic core I was wondering if a set of Innovation Honeys would be a suitable halfway house between Silver Slaps and Spiro Weich in terms of tension? Or is there anything else out there that can give me "grip" and low tension in a 1/2 scale?

Cheers

Gareth

Hi Gareth,

My Kolstein takes 1/2 scale

I ordered a 1/2 sized Honey D to try out which didn't suit it.

You can have it to try out if you want to.

Let me know if and when the spiro's are for sale.

'best
Keith[/quote]

[quote]Hi Gareth,

My Kolstein takes 1/2 scale

I ordered a 1/2 sized Honey D to try out which didn't suit it.

You can have it to try out if you want to.

Let me know if and when the spiro's are for sale.

'best
Keith[/quote]

Hi Keith

That's be great, thanks very much!

The Spiros will definitely be for sale. The speaking length of the strings is fine and they stay in tune well, but the silks are fuzzy and there's some loose tape up around the top end on a couple of the strings. Not really sure what to ask, but maybe we could PM about that?

Cheers

Gareth

I take it you play a lot of slap stuff?

I know a very good rockabilly bassist who uses spirocore solo sets, downtuned to regular orchestral tuning, to get the sound of steel strings with a low tension for slap. Perhaps that would work for you on the EUB if the scale suits Thomastik strings?

Although that particular bassist - when I asked him what he was using - told me to use the heaviest gauge I could find and tune them up because taut strings were better for slap and you just have to build the strength to cope with them. Given that I was suffering with severe tendonitis in both wrists at the time and he was aware of it, and I already knew that slap players use lower tension strings, I've since stopped talking to him altogether. It was a friend of his (who is a better bassist too, FWIW, and a guy I have always admired) who later told me what strings he was using.

Some people just don't have that musician spirit about them I guess.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='1019570' date='Nov 11 2010, 12:49 AM']I take it you play a lot of slap stuff?[/quote]

Funnily enough, I don't! I just really like the tone, tension and feel of these strings.

[quote]I know a very good rockabilly bassist who uses spirocore solo sets, downtuned to regular orchestral tuning, to get the sound of steel strings with a low tension for slap. Perhaps that would work for you on the EUB if the scale suits Thomastik strings?[/quote]

Yes, I had thought of that option too, but I think I want to see if I can emulate the "grippy" feel of the Silver Slaps first.

[quote]Some people just don't have that musician spirit about them I guess.[/quote]

Indeed. Not a very sensitive approach to your condition at the time. :)

Thanks for the input.

[quote name='walbassist' post='1019565' date='Nov 11 2010, 12:33 AM']Hi Keith

That's be great, thanks very much!

The Spiros will definitely be for sale. The speaking length of the strings is fine and they stay in tune well, but the silks are fuzzy and there's some loose tape up around the top end on a couple of the strings. Not really sure what to ask, but maybe we could PM about that?

Cheers

Gareth[/quote]

As soon as I find the Honey D I'll post it on. (I've put it somewhere safe!)

As a newbie I am discovering that each type/model of DB suits certain strings better. I have Silver Slaps on my DB, having found Thomastik Superflexibles a bit too tense for my liking. I tried an E from a set of Innovation Honeys on my DB last weekend just to compare with the Silver Slaps and found it less easy to play, not dissimilar from the Thomastiks. As I posted elsewhere, the Eminence EUB at the Gallery is strung with Spirocores and I found it played horribly - yet there are loads of Eminence devotees who say that its superb with different strings (eg, Kolstein Heritage). Given DB strings are typically £75-100+ a set (over £200 for Garbos!) this makes finding the right set-up bl**dy expensive ...

[quote name='Clarky' post='1019648' date='Nov 11 2010, 07:25 AM']As a newbie I am discovering that each type/model of DB suits certain strings better.

Given DB strings are typically £75-100+ a set (over £200 for Garbos!) this makes finding the right set-up bl**dy expensive ...[/quote]

Morning Clarky

Yes, I guess DBs are no different to electric basses in that regard, just a lot more expensive as you say, and when you factor in personal taste as well it gets much more complicated!

An email from Tony at Innovation has pinged into my inbox. He thinks the 3/4 Silver Slaps should work okay on the BS, as the synthetic core should just wrap around the tuners and not break, so I'll give them a go and report back. It may look a bit unsightly, but if it works I may be able to convince him to make a BSX-specific set in the future.

Cheers

Gareth