Why become a member? ×

MTD535-21 USA serialnr 17, pics added

leloupa

Hello,
i'm going to sell my beloved and ultra-rare Eclipse. Eclipse was the name of the first 50 MTD's Mike Tobias made after he sold the Tobias brand to Gibson. These ultra rare Eclipse basses are priceless but this one is in a worn and well used condition so i'll let it go for only 1300£ or 1500euro, shipment not inluded.
Natural swamp ash maple body, wenge neck, new strings with soft case.
Pictures later on the day.

Edited by leloupa

In fact there's an Elrick 5 on its way, but i'm planning to sell my four string Tobias as well and start looking for a Sadowsky nyc modern 5 and a Ken Smith.
I'm open for suggestions but i am very difficult in looks and colours. I like things as natural as can be.

Thats indeed a good question.
Well it all starts with the fascination about Mike Tobias and his work. As you'll know he is one of the Godfathers from all custom basses and i owned several Tobiass'es throughtout the years.
Always i was looking for one of the 2044 holy-grail-basses he personally build before he sold his company to Gibson, they are so rare and hard to find, i had my pleasure in it searching and finding those beasts.
When i found a used Elipse in the states one day, i bought it because it was sooooo extremely rare, it had to be the rarest peace of my collection. He only made 50 of them, all info on that on his own site www.mtdbass.com.

Indeed i found out that it is similar to the MTD that i've got and she just stood there being exclusive.
Because i dont use it i think that it is time for someone else to enjoy.
In fact i'm looking for a Tobias collector who'll pay me 2500euro for this one and put it in a museum, but i cant find anyone here in europe that knows its history.. For the american market its too expensive to ship it over from here.

just curious.. why isnt there any intrest at all ? .. Is it too cheap ? ..too expensive ? i cant believe its still there personally, MTD's are among the best basses in the world.
Maybe all you guys are looking for rip-off Fender junk or what ? 25 years ago i started with a Fender, sometimes i play a Fender in my search for a nostalgic 'coming home' kind of feeling but after playing a Fender for 1 minute i realise that they are just lousy basses with an oversized dead sounding body.
I think i'll withdraw this, i dont need the money anyway. It will give myself a better feeling just to give it away for free to someone who would die to own a bass like this.

[quote name='leloupa' post='1025079' date='Nov 15 2010, 08:47 PM']just curious.. why isnt there any intrest at all ? .. Is it too cheap ? ..too expensive ? i cant believe its still there personally, MTD's are among the best basses in the world.
Maybe all you guys are looking for rip-off Fender junk or what ? 25 years ago i started with a Fender, sometimes i play a Fender in my search for a nostalgic 'coming home' kind of feeling but after playing a Fender for 1 minute i realise that they are just lousy basses with an oversized dead sounding body.
I think i'll withdraw this, i dont need the money anyway. It will give myself a better feeling just to give it away for free to someone who would die to own a bass like this.[/quote]

I would die to own a bass like this ...

[quote name='leloupa' post='1025079' date='Nov 15 2010, 07:47 PM']just curious.. why isnt there any intrest at all ? .. Is it too cheap ? ..too expensive ? i cant believe its still there personally, MTD's are among the best basses in the world.
I think i'll withdraw this, i dont need the money anyway. It will give myself a better feeling just to give it away for free to someone who would die to own a bass like this.[/quote]

Well...
£1300 is a lot of money (regardless of the value of the bass) so there are only going to be a limited number of people with that kind of cash...
...and for those with the cash, there are a LOT of great basses with very modest price tags at the moment.

...and you're in Belgium which means anyone interested, has no-chance to try it which is not ideal for an expensive bass.
And being in Belgium just adds shipping onto the price. Plus difficulty if the buyer is dissapointed.

It may be one, or all of these reasons. ...or maybe it's overpriced. I dunno. I was interested enough to look myself, but will probably keep looking for something for a while longer. Ironically I may be in the market for a clunky old Fender if I can see the right one. But it's a buyers market at the moment so I'll sit tight for a while I reckon.

Good luck with the sale. I would suggest patience. I'm sure the right person will come along, but you may have to wait.

Andy

It's only been a week.... You should remember that this isn't eBay, but then again that's Why you are here and not there.

GremlinAndy's post is very relevant.

I know this is the internet but still, I've found in my own experience buying and selling gear on here is a very slow process.

IMO it's an incredible price for this bass, if the Eclipses are the same as the MTD's of today.
If someone is looking for an MTD he won't let this one go, I guess. Usually they go for about twice the amount of money? It should indeed have been sold in 1 week...

Unfortunately I'm not in the financial position to buy such a bass. If I was, it would have been mine by now already :) MTD basses are worth dying for.

Good luck with the sale!

Edited by christiaan_01

I'd like to apologize for my frustrated moment yesterday.
That is because i searched years to find an Eclipse, every morning and evening i checked the internet to see if someone
insane would sell one of those rare collector items at a normal or even affordable price instead of 3000£.

In fact i'm looking for somebody who will treasure this bass, pampers it, knows its history, loves it, will be inspired and will be very lucky to own it. Price is less important to me.

I'm a bit emotional about this baby, thats why i lost my mind for a second..
Guess emotions make musicians who they are, excuse me guys.

[quote]Well...
£1300 is a lot of money (regardless of the value of the bass) so there are only going to be a limited number of people with that kind of cash...
...and for those with the cash, there are a LOT of great basses with very modest price tags at the moment.

...and you're in Belgium which means anyone interested, has no-chance to try it which is not ideal for an expensive bass.
And being in Belgium just adds shipping onto the price. Plus difficulty if the buyer is dissapointed.

It may be one, or all of these reasons. ...or maybe it's overpriced. I dunno. I was interested enough to look myself, but will probably keep looking for something for a while longer. Ironically I may be in the market for a clunky old Fender if I can see the right one. But it's a buyers market at the moment so I'll sit tight for a while I reckon.

Good luck with the sale. I would suggest patience. I'm sure the right person will come along, but you may have to wait.

Andy[/quote]

If I may...... It seems like your're so far away from the rest of the EU and it is something scary.
I bought my bass in Switzerland and drove all the way just to check this wonderfull bass. If it was crap I would have left it there. Still, after some 7 years now, I don't regret the trip and treasure this bass. For an important instrument in GB I would do the same, the tunnel is something like 50 pounds for a day retour and going to the south of GB is the same distance for me as going to france or Germany, not a big deal to the value and pleasure you will have on getting a fine instrument. There are no worries for taxes or things like that. If you see a fine instrument, go for it.
my 2 cts....

Cheers!