Why become a member? ×

Circle of Fifths - WHY?

Wylie

I understand that the circle of fifths shows you at a glance where the fifth of any key lies, and also shows, going the other way, where the fourth lies. This is nice ... but is that it? I can manage that in my head. But as the circle of fifths is frequently referred to as a key the understanding of which will unlock musical mysteries, I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what those are (or direct me to them).

In other words, besides being able to spot the 5th and 4th, what practical use can I get out of some deeper understanding of this circle?

Thanks.

Ted

Edited by tedgilley

A lot of chord movement in Western music tends to follow the circle of fifths (or fourths depending on how you look at it). For example, the ii V I progression is very common in jazz; an example would be Dm7 G7 C. A chord moving to the next one in the circle of fourths has a very strong resolution; if you learn to recognize the sound of chords going round the circle, it makes busking/learning/memorizing tunes far easier. In this respect, it is a musical shortcut.

Jennifer

It's also a good tool for learning the accidentals in each key, especially if you're interested in reading/writing standard notation. If you start at C (no #s/bs) and go clockwise (up in 5ths) then each successive major scale has one more sharp: G major has F#, D major has F# and C#, A major has F#, C# and G#...

The same process applies with flats if you move up in fourths from C (F major has Bb, Bb major has Bb and Eb etc)

As Jennifer has already said, lots of chord progressions move up in fourths (or down in fifths), so practicing things around the cycle of fourths helps to prepare you for a lot of 'real life' musical situations.

Tom

It opens a lot of doors in terms of song forms and massive amounts of modern harmony is based on the cycle. It may have escaped your notice but the bass is tuned in a cycle of fourths/fifths (depending on the direction of travel). It makes a lot of bass activity very natural and easy to execute.

Yes, I knew the bass was tuned in fourths, but hadn't quite seen how that was valuable. Thanks to all for these replies, this helps quite a lot.

Ted

Now after some concerted practice with ii-V-I and iii-vi-ii-V-I movements, and with the aid of my teacher, I can see a lot more easily what everyone means. But God, is practicing dull work.

tg

Edited by tedgilley

[quote name='tedgilley' post='1015223' date='Nov 7 2010, 01:13 PM']Yes, I knew the bass was tuned in fourths, but hadn't quite seen how that was valuable. Thanks to all for these replies, this helps quite a lot.

Ted[/quote]
I agree, understanding of it's relevance has always eluded me, why couldn't my first teacher have explained that to me in these ways?