Why become a member? ×

Gallien Krueger MB/MB2-500. Anyone using one?

dave_bass5

Its been about 5 years since i had amp GAS but during a quick visit to the Gallery today to pick my bass up, i happened to see the above amp. only just as its so small.
Im now really itching to get one to replace my little used LMII as my back up amp, but also maybe as my main amp..

Anyone used one, heard one or have any comments?
I know there are similar sized heads around (TC, EA etc) but at the moment its really just an idea and im just asking about this head. Im actually not sure if it was the older MB2 or newer MB but to be honest im going on looks at the moment although i would go for the newer version if i got one.
I didnt get to play it as i was in a hurry.

With the trade in price i can get for my LMII its not going to cost me much.

Ive not really paid much attention to amps for a while and its amazing how small they had got.

Edited by dave_bass5

Cheers Gareth.
I see there are quite a few threads about these amps on TB so i'll work my way through them at some point.
It does seem like the M2 had issues to start with.
It was just an idea really. As i have a LMII just sitting around doing nothing now i thought about getting rid of it but i might need something small next year so one of these newer micro heads will fit the bill nicely.

It really was almost like a ream of lightweight A4 paper and could easily fit in my gig bag's front pocket. Now that i use my BDDI for my tone i dont need something with a lot of bells and whistles on it, i mostly run my MB heads flat now anyway.

Of course ill try it first but i did have a GK1001RBII head before and didnt really think it sounded very good, at least not compared to my MB heads (and i did one gig where i used both so i could really tell the difference)

Edited by dave_bass5

Dave

I've got one of the older MB2-500's - got it from the Bass Merchant last July, so I've been gigging for about 15 months. Had no issues with it (apart from a sticky 'pad' button - solved that by leaving it permanently engaged :))

Paired up with the EBS 4x10 or the 1x15 is fairly monstrous - lots of clean low end. It's a killer amp, very light-weight, fits in my gig-bag pocket with my bass.

Worth auditioning one - I'm taking mine to the SE bass bash, so if you wanna have a noodle through it, you're more than welcome!!

HTH, Ian

Cheers Ian.

Not sure about the bash but ill definitely try one out at some point.

I guess the main thing is how it compares tone wise to the LMII. I found my GK1001RBII was nowhere near as full sounding, in to the same cab.

Edited by dave_bass5

I auditioned the GK against the LMIII and a Genz-Benz Shuttle 3.0. Found the Shuttle the most disappointing of the three (maybe because it wasn't the 6 with the valve pre). The LMIII and the GK were close - and I agonized over the choice (both were a similar price, with similar power output and features), but at the end of the day I just found the GK more user-friendly and easier to get a sound out of it that I liked.

The LMIII just felt a little more 'fiddly' if that makes sense, just found it harder to get a sound dialled in with the VLE/VPF controls. I guess also the sound was a little too 'transparent' through the LMIII, maybe a bit 'harsher'. The GK just ticked all the boxes so I ended up taking one away with me!

HTH, Ian

Thanks again Ian.

It definitely sounds like i need ot try one out as soon as i can. For me the MB heads are the best ive ever played, simple to get a decent tone from and not a lot of knobs and buttons (ive not tried the newer heads though).
In contrast my GK seemed to need a lot of fiddling and careful use of the gain to avoid distortion and i never seemed to get the clean volume i do with the MB's, even though the GK was rated slightly higher.

From what ive read about the Shuttles vs MB's im sure the Shuttle isnt for me.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1012205' date='Nov 4 2010, 03:50 PM']Thanks again Ian.

It definitely sounds like i need ot try one out as soon as i can. For me the MB heads are the best ive ever played, simple to get a decent tone from and not a lot of knobs and buttons (ive not tried the newer heads though).
In contrast my GK seemed to need a lot of fiddling and careful use of the gain to avoid distortion and i never seemed to get the clean volume i do with the MB's, even though the GK was rated slightly higher.

From what ive read about the Shuttles vs MB's im sure the Shuttle isnt for me.[/quote]

There is always the Shuttle 9.0, although im still not sure how I view that amp.

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1012823' date='Nov 5 2010, 01:03 AM']GKs are a bit complex with the gain structure. Remember there's the MB Fusion coming out soon with the valve pre that should add another option to your list. :)[/quote]

Yeah, i didnt like the idea of the two levels knobs and how easy it was to get a dirty sound if your not careful.

This original idea was about getting something smaller than my LMII, just as powerful but cheapish as it might not be used much. But it could go the other way and become my main amp and i might sell both MB heads. If that was the case then maybe a TC RH450 would be ideal but for now i really dont have any issues with my SA450 so i dont think i want to part with that, plus the RH450 costs quite a bit more.

The heads with tubes in are a bit out of my price range and to be honest tubes dont really have any attraction. I have the BDDI and even on that i keep the drive almost off.

I guess the cheapest option would be one of those little Ashdown digital heads, and while i think that would be fine for the occasional gig i wouldn't want to use it regularly. I would love a MB F500 but i think the MB heads are a bit expensive these days.

So many decisions, so little money and Christmas coming up. Not a good time to get GAS. At least its not urgent.

Yeah, the manual's a bit cryptic too with it's instructions.

This is what the manual for my 2001RB-II says: Boost/Master:
Turning up the Boost control, will add a little growl to your tone. This is an unmistakable GK trade mark sound, that you will grow to appreciate. Raising the Boost while lowering the Master will add more growl while keeping the sound level the same. Growl is actually a small amount of even order harmonic distortion, that sounds great through a woofer, but horrible through a horn (see Bi-Amp solution below). For most playing situations, the Master is set between 12 & 3 o’clock. The cleanest sound is obtained by setting the Master above 12 o’clock, and going above 3 o’clock for maximum power situations.

The master on the RB series of amps is the "woofer" control. So it's saying keep that up at 12-3 o'clock and then adjust the boost and input volume to suit.

Cheers.

I did get the hang of it but it felt like it was a bit more than i needed knob wise lol.

I do like the warmth i get from the MB heads and i guess for the older stuff we play it suites it better but as long as i still have a nice low end i can always EQ the rest.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1013022' date='Nov 5 2010, 09:54 AM']Yeah, i didnt like the idea of the two levels knobs and how easy it was to get a dirty sound if your not careful.

This original idea was about getting something smaller than my LMII, just as powerful but cheapish as it might not be used much. But it could go the other way and become my main amp and i might sell both MB heads. If that was the case then maybe a TC RH450 would be ideal but for now i really dont have any issues with my SA450 so i dont think i want to part with that, plus the RH450 costs quite a bit more.

The heads with tubes in are a bit out of my price range and to be honest tubes dont really have any attraction. I have the BDDI and even on that i keep the drive almost off.

I guess the cheapest option would be one of those little Ashdown digital heads, and while i think that would be fine for the occasional gig i wouldn't want to use it regularly. I would love a MB F500 but i think the MB heads are a bit expensive these days.

So many decisions, so little money and Christmas coming up. Not a good time to get GAS. At least its not urgent.[/quote]

I agree, Id snap an F500 up, despite the fact I think the front panel is FAR too cramped, if it were around £625. I am kind of hoping Markbass make a new version of the same amp. The one thing I found when I tested the F500 and Shuttle 9.0 is that they were possibly TOO light...as in youd have to watch your cables otherwise you will pull it around. That can probably happen with nearly all micros now. Such a huge market.

I think if we were based in the USA, itd be a no brainer Genz purchase to get that customer service, but it doesnt work on the same level in this country (eg they wont ship you an amp to help you out for a gig and replace your old one like I see them do on Talkbass).

Ive asked around like crazy on the LM2/3 vs F500 vs Shuttle 9.0, and the Shuttle 9.0 is louder, but gets strangely polar opposite reviews. Some say the tone is fabulous and warm, almost tube like, and some say the upper mids are harsh and its a battle to get the amp to sound natural. Maybe thats basses/cabs making them sound different?! I dont know. The F500 is a sleek slim amp, and the whole concept is brilliant, but Im not sure if I prefer the LM2/3 sound yet...and its an expensive decision to get wrong.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1013053' date='Nov 5 2010, 10:26 AM']Cheers.

I did get the hang of it but it felt like it was a bit more than i needed knob wise lol.

I do like the warmth i get from the MB heads and i guess for the older stuff we play it suites it better but as long as i still have a nice low end i can always EQ the rest.[/quote]

I think KJung did a video a while back of the MB2500 amp...he mentioned the low end was HUUUUUGE for a tiny amp like that. I dont think it feels as 'solid' when it comes to build like the Markbass gear though, although thats just being picky.

Edited by Musicman20

Yeah, ken knows everything about all these amps. He has done various comparisons with his MB heads, as well as others and i have had a few PMs with him about these over the years.

I know what you mean about living in the USA. Lucky buggers.

A si use a radio system im ok with the lightweight heads. I have found in the past my whole rig used ot move around on some stages but since i got my Gramma pad it seems to stay put.

Not really the person to ask, but I'll chip in anyway.
No way would I trade in a LMll for a GK head. Chalk and cheese, IME.

If MB are more expensive then there is probably a good reason.
I find the MB far better to just plug in and play and get a decent sound in seconds..the GK a faff and frustration.

The LMll is a classic already.
The only reason I could see why you would add this GK into the mix is for something different, assuming you got on with that difference, but since it is a backup, then a big fat NO from me.

Cheers John. I pretty much agree with all that.

The reason i started this thread was to see if anyone had any opinions on the tone from the MB's, as my only experience with GK is the 1001RBII. If the MB does sound similar then maybe its not for me.

As ive already said, i took my GK1001RBII and SA450 to a gig once and swapped heads over for the second set. It was like chalk and cheese and i sold the GK the following week.

The thing is, while i love my LMII i dont use use it. And on the very rare occasions next year that ill need it its still bigger than i care to carry. So a smaller head is needed. But, as it wont be used much im not going to pay £700+ for one, unless it also replaces my SA450 as well and i use it every week.

At the moment i dont really want to get shot of the SA450 as its always done the job, with pretty much flat EQ so it would be pointless getting rid of it.

I think maybe ill put the LMII up for sale as i definitely wont need it this side of the new year, then see what happens next year. Once i get a gig in that ill need an amp then i can have a look around.

Edited by dave_bass5

understand the questioning and reasoning, Dave, makes total sense to consider it all.

Personally, I only take out one amp with a DI/pre box, but I think the market that GK are aiming at isn't the same as the MB stuff these days.

If it was for the emergency angle...have you got a spare side to use on your PA..? and plug your DI box into that..?

[quote name='JTUK' post='1013232' date='Nov 5 2010, 01:04 PM']understand the questioning and reasoning, Dave, makes total sense to consider it all.

Personally, I only take out one amp with a DI/pre box, but I think the market that GK are aiming at isn't the same as the MB stuff these days.

If it was for the emergency angle...have you got a spare side to use on your PA..? and plug your DI box into that..?[/quote]

Although we olny use a fairly modest PA i do DI from my amp at most gigs. As im also using my BDDI at every gig im sorted as far as the amp packing up goes (touch wood etc) so i dont take a back up.
I dont really need two amps but if i get any gigs with the other band it would involve public transport to my pick up point. They have my 1210R cab but i would need to get the amp there. While the LMII does fit in my suit bag i really like the look of these micro amps. And the GK seems to be a bit cheaper than a lot of the other in the 500watt@4ohm bracket.

I guess another trip to the Gallery is in order. If i could raise around £600 for the two MB heads i could afford to get a F500....hmm.

Edited by dave_bass5

I have the MB2/500 and have just sent the MB200 back to GK after road testing for a while...... I think it really depends on personal taste..... I sat in the Bass merchant a year ago for a couple of hours switching between the SA450, littlemark 11 and the Genz..... The GK was nearest to the sound I was happy with.... to me not as flat or sterile as the others and definitely more body to the overall sound.
I run mine through 2 x Aguillar DB112 and the sound is massive.

The MB200 was good but didn't have the balls of the 500..... am now looking at the new micro fusion head.