Why become a member? ×

Cutaway DB?

philw

All,

Just watching Eric Clapton on Later with Jools and his bass player was using a double bass with a cut-away (i.e it had no upper bout on the treble side). Now, I've seen numerous similar instruments on Ebay but the cut-away idea has always stuck me as a bit of a pointless gimmick on a DB. I mean, it's not as if there's much chance of fretting with a conventional "guitar" hand position that high up the neck. You're really still going to have to use thumb position, cut-away or not? Am I missing something?

Phil

Its a way of avoiding thumb position..or at least putting it off a bit! I have seen it on a few older basses (Art Pepper's bassist used to use one), but I'd imagine there is trade off with the acoustic sound, as you are losing some internal volume. Not much, but a bit.

Absolutely, experience does indeed tell me that the Cutaways are indeed quieter as there is less body size for the sound to travel round.

Also, the cutaway is there to make it easier to travel up the neck for high note playing.

The still look cool!

Anyone got one they don't want? If so, message me!