Why become a member? ×

Fret Buzz Problem

markdavid

I was after an opinion about my fret buzz problem. On my Squier , I get some nasty fret buzz from the 12th fret to 21st fret , particularly on the D string, the fret buzz is particularly bad on certain frets (13th, 15th, and 18th). My action is quite high and I would like to lower it but when I do I get fret buzz from the 9th fret to 21st fret. I have measured the relief by fretting 1st and 15th fret and there is maybe a bank card sized gap between the top of the frets and the string (although I was unable to slide a bank card under the strings without them lifting slightly). I am thinking that the fact that some frets buzz more than others indicates I may have some high frets but I think probably I need a truss rod adjustment as well.
I have attached some pics to show the action , straightness of the neck etc. All help appreciated

[quote name='markdavid' post='114730' date='Jan 6 2008, 03:11 PM']I was after an opinion about my fret buzz problem. On my Squier , I get some nasty fret buzz from the 12th fret to 21st fret , particularly on the D string, the fret buzz is particularly bad on certain frets (13th, 15th, and 18th). My action is quite high and I would like to lower it but when I do I get fret buzz from the 9th fret to 21st fret.[/quote]
Sounds like the neck isn't quite angled right and needs shimming to angle it slightly forward from where it is now. Washers on the two neck screws furthest from the bridge would do the job - try that and see if there's an improvement.

Fret buzz on upper frets usually means that you need to tighten the truss rod to decrease the relief in the neck. You should measure the gap at the 7th fret E string, whilst holding down the string at the first and last fret (a capo is useful here unless you have three arms). This effectively uses the string as a straight line.

Once you have set your relief correctly then raise or lower the strings to your preferred height. If you can get rid of the buzz but your strings are too high then a small shim in the neck pocket at th heel of the neck will work. If you can't get rid of the buzz then it may be worth considering a fret dress.

I'd always start with the simple things first then work up to the more complicated solutions.

I agree with Muppet. I was doing a lot of truss rod adjustment this year because I was playing in one band where I had to detune a whole tone and then tune back for another band. What I do is using my right elbow, I make the string contact the (in this case 20th) top fret with the E string and then hold it down at the 1st fret with my left hand. I aim for around 0.75mm of relief at the 12th fret (remember to tune your strings to pitch when you check the relief). Then you adjust the saddles to the right height for each string. As muppet says, if you can't get rid of the buzzing with the action as you want it, the frets will need to be levelled. I've never had any issues with truss-rod adjustment but I'd recommend loosening your strings off a bit (assuming you don't need to remove the neck to get to the truss-rod adjuster) before tightening it. It might also be a good idea to actually loosen to truss rod a bit before tightening it again so that if it's a bit sticky, you un-stick it in a less stressing fashion. And of course, ADJUST A LITTLE AT A TIME! a quater of a turn can make a big difference. I'll say get into the habit of doing this yourself because changes in atmospheric temperature can make things move a bit - if you take your bass to a shop, you'll be paying £30 odd for someone to do what you can do yourself in about 15mins.

Best of luck.

[quote name='Stewart' post='114739' date='Jan 6 2008, 03:25 PM']I think I'd try slackening the truss rod somewhat, and raising the strings at the bridge a little to compensate - though you may need to shim the neck joint.

Of course if there are specific high frets, they need reducing...[/quote]

definitely sounds like the bridge saddles are too low...