Why become a member? ×

FS/FT: 1995 Epiphone Thunderbird 5-string - Gone

Gust0o

Traded with Deaver, for a lovely MTD Kingston Heir 5-string - which, blimey, is a relief on the back!

Thank you to all those who displayed interest.

---------------------------------------------------------

Well, I'm a bit disappointed to be letting this go. I purchased this in May from the delightful Guzzibass, who you'll see featured below.

At the time I was a strapping, virile, adonis of a man. Sadly, now I have slipped disc and nerve pain which means I can't stand for too long, and certainly not with a bass around my neck. I'm told I'm going to be this way for some time, and it makes sense to look at my collection in light of that.

The back problem means this is too uncomfortable to play, and I'd like to let it go to a good home to support my search for something more featherweight - or, at the very least, to help pay my physio.

I'll post some updated shots and a video review this weekend, but for now I'll borrow Guzzi's originals:

^ Guzzi doing what he does best!

The bass is in good condition overall, with no significant wear or damage to body and neck. The pick-ups are stock split-P/J and lend themselves well to a good rock tone. The strings are new Ernie Ball slinkys.

Happy to take additional questions, or shots on request. I will say, from personal experience, that this is one of the most robust basses I've ever seen. It feels very substantial, and solid and certainly lives up to it's looks; and thankfully avoids the worst excesses of the neck-dive on the reverse models.

I'd prefer a pick-up, and am based in York. Shipping is an option, but be warned - I have a real bubblewrap fetish - and you will find yourself popping for weeks thereafter :)

I use Interparcel, who are suitably economic.

There's an option to ship with a padded Fender gig bag - we'll need a chat about what you think that might be worth in the deal.

Lords know what a trade would be. BC Rich, Charvel, Jackson, Kramer offerings will go to the front of the class. Pillows and heat packs will also be accepted; as would young ladies well versed in the arts of making spines better.

Please do shout - failing that, I'll post some updates over the weekend.

Edited by Gust0o

Ha!! I'd buy it back if I could, but have other agendas to deal with. Its a great bass - I was worried about moving from 4 to 5 - but seemed to have no trouble. The pic above was at a gig not long after I got it. Not bad - makes me look relatively competent..!!! :) Good Luck...

And again.

Conscious I need some more pics, but the only questions I've had to answer have been the differences from the much more common 4-string reverse Thunderbirds - and I'll comment that this feels like a totally different beast.

The bodyshape cures most of the neck-dive in the reverse 4s; there's still some, but it's marginal and only apparent when the bass is unsupported. A decent wide strap and simply playing the bass resolves that.

The sound is different, as a result of having the P/J combo over the twin humbuckers - and I've a preference for this set-up over the humbuckers, given that it's the one I have on nearly all my other basses.

I'll measure the string spacing. Hadn't played a 5-string previous to this - the neck felt substantive, yet the spacing easy; ultimately I got on with the fretboard very well, considering I do not have the biggest of hands.

Weight I'll check. It's a little subjective, considering the current state of my spine - it's too heavy for me, but I've damaged myself. Previously, as I said, it felt substantive - but then it's a big bass. It's no Aero; but harking back to the likes of my old Encore, it's no dead weight either.

Would you have any additional to offer Guzzi?

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1006664' date='Oct 30 2010, 07:25 PM']And if I'm not mistaken, my old Ashy in the background. :D[/quote]

Yes, indeed it is your ex - giving sterling service I might add!! (who's that on your avatar? :) )

Gus, I can't add much more, I didn't find it heavy at all, but then I'm often told I'm an insensitive bar-steward!!!!

:) :lol:

[quote name='guzzibass' post='1009050' date='Nov 1 2010, 09:44 PM']Yes, indeed it is your ex - giving sterling service I might add!! (who's that on your avatar? :) )[/quote]
Good to hear it. :)
She's Jessiqa Pace - made famous for her Loews hairpin Martini poster being too great a distraction for some of the drivers at Monaco. :lol:

The face of the race!

Back to the top with you.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1009543' date='Nov 2 2010, 12:57 PM']Good to hear it. :)
She's Jessiqa Pace - made famous for her Loews hairpin Martini poster being too great a distraction for some of the drivers at Monaco. :)[/quote]

Not sure it's kitch, rock or 80's.......... but, any interest in a Peavey 5 string?? Zephyr I believe, neck-through with Koa body. The Thunderbird is more my thing!!!

[attachment=63541:IMG_0077.jpg]

[attachment=63542:IMG_0079.jpg]

[attachment=63543:IMG_0080.jpg]