Why become a member? ×

fender bass strings

bassbarber

hi guys

need some new bass strings and its the end of the month so pay day whoo! i got some fender guitar strings to put on an old guitar (shine strat copy) and after putting them on the sound was amazing to say the least! so i was wondering if the fender bass strings were as good? i have a italia mondial bass and indie rock, was gonna try the Fender Super 7250M Bass, Pure Nickel, Bass Strings, 45-105.

cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Bassbarber,
7250's are nickel plated steel RW, 7150's are pure nickle RW, I've used both as well as 9050 flats, and never had a problem with Fender strings. Good value. IMO 7250's are a modern aggressive sounding string, easier on your frets than stainless. 7150's on the other hand, are more of a mellow, vintage sounding string, well suited to blues/r&b. Some where between flats and round steel. Your frets will like these, and so will your fingers, they feel slick and don't squeak. Both decent strings. I would recommend the M sets as the lighter ones sound a bit thin to me.

I just learned that Fender now has a new string supplier, some who have used them are convinced it's D'Addario. Not having tried the new strings, what I wrote above is based on the old formula strings.

Edited by vistacruiser

I also like both 7150's and 8250's (i believe the same as 7250s but with a taper wound E string)
Ive not used 7150's for years though. No real reason, i just keep forgetting about them. They are nice warm, cheap strings and i think ill get a set next string change.

I first used 8250's a few years ago when they came stock on my Fender P5. I did find them a bit bright but got used to them and went through 3 sets beofre going over to Chromes. Earlier this year i had a few MIA Jazz basses and these too come with 8250s. I have a unused extra long set at home that wont fit any of my current basses as none of them are strung through the body but one day they will get used.
I like Fender strings as they are cheap but work well.

They are now made by D'Addario and they now have the same coloured ball ends. A lot of people thought that were XL's when Fender first changed manufacturer IIR. They come standard on the Squier CV basses as well as others.

Edited by dave_bass5