Why become a member? ×

hi

Good question.

Mistahbenn was asking what we all thought about this:

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SUNBURST-FENDER-PRECISION-BASS-1963_W0QQitemZ140195988876QQihZ004QQcategoryZ33039QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SUNBURST-FENDER-PREC...1QQcmdZViewItem[/url]

...and then he deleted his post.

Or maybe it was all a dream?

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='114100' date='Jan 5 2008, 03:37 PM']Good question.

Mistahbenn was asking what we all thought about this:

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SUNBURST-FENDER-PRECISION-BASS-1963_W0QQitemZ140195988876QQihZ004QQcategoryZ33039QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SUNBURST-FENDER-PREC...1QQcmdZViewItem[/url]

...and then he deleted his post.

Or maybe it was all a dream?[/quote]

Why did he delete it?..

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='114126' date='Jan 5 2008, 04:14 PM']Maybe he suddenly realised that flagging it up on here meant that potentially 2000+ other bassists might bid on it :)[/quote]

lol haha..raite cheeky...I bet thats his bid, or I'll eat my hat

Edited by Pedro1020

I'm sure this is just me and I'm that kind of bloke but...

Perusing the eBay sellers feedback you can see that 'every single one' of his identifiable sales (500+ that you are able to check) is for a piece of vinyl or a CD. Not one single other form of sale; Nada, Zilch! Then a 63 Fender... that rings alarm bells with me.

Sorry where did this thread originate?

I've got a feeling this is a hijacked account scam. Something doesn't look right. Check out the auction in question, then look at his finished auctions. The seller (ie. the real seller) has a style to the way he sets up his auctions, and this one doesn't fit in with those. He's also got a trumpet up, and from checking out other Ebay auctions, it appears the brand, Monette, is a very expensive brand.

I'm gonna call bullshit on this one.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='114148' date='Jan 5 2008, 04:46 PM']I'm sure this is just me and I'm that kind of bloke but...

Perusing the eBay sellers feedback you can see that 'every single one' of his identifiable sales (500+ that you are able to check) is for a piece of vinyl or a CD. Not one single other form of sale; Nada, Zilch! Then a 63 Fender... that rings alarm bells with me.

Sorry where did this thread originate?[/quote]

LMAO!! Beat me to it!! :)

But yeah, as I indicated above, I totally agree with you.

[quote name='bassaussie' post='114154' date='Jan 5 2008, 04:54 PM']I've got a feeling this is a hijacked account scam. Something doesn't look right. Check out the auction in question, then look at his finished auctions. The seller (ie. the real seller) has a style to the way he sets up his auctions, and this one doesn't fit in with those. He's also got a trumpet up, and from checking out other Ebay auctions, it appears the brand, Monette, is a very expensive brand.

I'm gonna call bullshit on this one.[/quote]

Spot on I would say - a classic account hijack scam.
They want shooting.

[quote name='99ster' post='114157' date='Jan 5 2008, 04:58 PM']Spot on I would say - a classic account hijack scam.
They want shooting.[/quote]

We have a thread somewhere about "how to spot a scam", and I think this would be a great example to include. At first glance, it looks legit, but a little digging and things start to look questionable.

Having said all that - the bass is a great looking instrument!!

[quote name='bassaussie' post='114155' date='Jan 5 2008, 04:55 PM']LMAO!! Beat me to it!! :)

But yeah, as I indicated above, I totally agree with you.[/quote]

Listing in the wrong section... change of item being sold... listing format change... etc etc

My concern is whether Mistahbenn's account has been jacked as well? If not hopefully he isn't the highest bidder :huh:

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='114159' date='Jan 5 2008, 05:01 PM']Listing in the wrong section... change of item being sold... listing format change... etc etc

My concern is whether Mistahbenn's account has been jacked as well? If not hopefully he isn't the highest bidder :)[/quote]

Don't forget the length of the auction. This is a 5 grand bass, easy. 3 days is far too short for a typical Ebayer to advertise this for. That doesn't in itself mean the auction is a scam, but it's always one of the warning signs.

I think Misthbenn needs to be given a heads up about this, and then he can make his own decision.

Here is the emails I exchanged with the guy, and now the account has been returned to its original owner...what a scammer!"!

Good evening,

I prefer to post it through a courier and if you don't like it you can return it and get a full refund. It will be easier in this way. I'm waitting your decision.

Kind Regards,
Peter

mistah Benn <[email protected]> wrote:
Can I come and see the bass? What is your address and mobile please?

Thanks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2008 17:43:06 +0000
Subject: RE: You've received a question about eBay item: SUNBURST FENDER PRECISION BASS 1963(140195988876)
To: [email protected]

Hello again,

The serial # is: l13163. If you need to know something else please feel free to e-mail me. I'm gonna wait your decision.

Kind Regards,
Peter

mistah Benn <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the reply. Can you tell me the serial number please?

Many thanks....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2008 15:58:08 +0000
Subject: Re: You've received a question about eBay item: SUNBURST FENDER PRECISION BASS 1963(140195988876)
To: [email protected]

Good afternoon,

Unfortunately these are the only photos that i have available right now but i assure you that the guitar is in excellent condition. You will have many years playing pleasure from this guitar. I'm selling it because i'm in the middle of buying a house at the moment so it's forcing me to get rid of some of my toys. If I did not need the money there is no way in hell that i would sell it. There is only one other owner and i know him well. His parents bought this when he lived at home as a teenager and had a band, so i know that he never did any thing to it. It is excellant. My wife worked with his mother so we know this instructment. This is a gem, a collector item. I don't think you will see another like this. The lowest price that i can accept is £1,500.00 GBP. If you decide to purchase it please contact me and i'm gonna offer you a transaction through eBay. Many thanks for your interest.

Kind Regards,
Peter