Why become a member? ×

Advice on gear.

lowlandtrees

Hi Just got a nice MM SUB through a Basschat member. Looking for an amp/cab or combo. I only record at home and don't gig. Main problem is that I lack space in the studio so it/they have to be as shallow as poss. I do not need power (although I am aware that a bigger amp at number one is better than a smaller amp at 10). I do want quality sound and would like a 15 or bigger speaker/ driver for bottom end. I am a big fan of the old valve/analogue sound. Those are my thoughts. Feel free to tell me that I am talking bollocks etc, that is why I am writing this cos if I knew what I wanted I would not be writing this. Afraid that I only have a budget of around £300.

Jimmy

In the house I use a Tech 21 Trademark 60 [u]GUITAR[/u] combo. I find the settings on the combos clean channel are great for bass and the 12" speaker handles everything up to moderate 'house' volumes (the wife/kids/neighbours start complaining WAY before the driver does). The good thing with this is that it is relatively small (especially front-back) and it has a great DI for recording added to which if you do home recording then it instantly hits the spot for your guitar duties. Don't close your eyes to some alternative ideas, especially if it is unlikely to be required for full on gigging. :)

The ampeg looks good. I see that it can be bought new for £300. What about putting guitar through it or is this a no no without a tweeter?
Anyone got opinions about DI from the amp V DI straight into the recorder or through an amp modeller. I use a Line 6 pro thinggy with my geetah.