Why become a member? ×

Effects - should I try some?

solo4652

Folks,

Here's the situation: I've been playing bass for 2.5 years from a complete standing start. I currently play in a semi-pro covers band in pubs, clubs and functions. See: [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqRPuVdKQyE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqRPuVdKQyE[/url] I hope I don't sound too self-congratulatory when I say that, considering I have very little natural musical talent and anything I achieve comes from hours of slogging bedroom practice, I think I'm doing reasonably well.

I don't use effects of any kind. I simply plug my bass (G&L L2000 USA or L2000 Tribute or Fender USA P) straight into my combo (Roland DBass 115, sometimes with Dbass 115X ext. cab). It's even very rare for me to change amp settings during a gig - basically, I plug and play. KISS principle.

I'm now being asked to consider adding some effects for songs like Foreigner's Don't stop believin', and to give more depth and variation between songs like Black Velvet and, say, Play that funky music.

Part of me says that I should explore this whole area of effects, starting with simple Chorus, Flange and Reverb via foot switches. Nothing remotely complicated. I've been reading the "What multi-effect pedal" sticky to learn the basics. Mind boggling, for me.

Another part of me says I may well be running before I can walk, and that I should concentrate on learning to play the bass properly and using the controls on my existing amp properly before confusing myself with a multi-effects pedal.

I'm open to all advice folks,

Thanks,

Steve

Edited by solo4652

I'd start with a multi effects pedal.
As you're probably gonna want to use it at gigs, I'd look at the Roland ME-50b or similar. This will give you a selection of effects to mess with & see what you're going to use before deciding on changing to individual pedals or sticking with the multi route.

[quote name='solo4652' post='1000944' date='Oct 26 2010, 11:22 AM']I'm now being asked to consider adding some effects for songs like Foreigner's Don't stop believin', and to give more depth and variation between songs like Black Velvet and, say, Play that funky music.[/quote]

Not really songs that require bass effects i don't think. Maybe they mean a slightly different sound?

Black Velvet is played on a fretless IIRC so maybe adapt your technique to compensate a little, with practice it's possible to get a decent fretless impression on fretted.

Other than that maybe an eq pedal to switch a different sound in at convenient moments?
Boss and MXR do well built eq pedals.
I use an MXR M80 for a bit of overdrive and a seperate 3 band switchable eq, the Aphex Xciter is also a handy pedal for tone shaping.

Both of those have a DI out too btw

I'd try something like a Boss ME50-B, they're around fairly cheap 2nd hand and it'll have all the FX you need on there, plus you can save patches for different songs.

If you like the FX but the pedal's not really cutting it, at least after having all the options available, you'll know which FX to persue and which you're not bothered about.