Why become a member? ×

Gallien Krueger (GK) MB Combos ?

AttitudeCastle

Hey Guys!

I'm interested in the Gallien Krueger MB combos, the MB212 to be exact! As i'm into 2x12s at the mo :)

What can you tell me about them? Good? Bad?

I can't find a whole lot on them, some people like them some don't!

Hmmmm....

500W at 37lbs (if my memory serves me right!)

Other "reasonablely" (used loosely!) priced and Lightweight 2x12 prefereably combos, or Head and Cab suggestions!

I was thinking GK as a bit of mid bump, a powerful EQ and buckets of Growl suits me just right!

Many Thanks!
AC

Edited by AttitudeCastle

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' post='998171' date='Oct 23 2010, 03:41 PM']Thats the 210 :)

The 212 and 115 are 500 alone,

I'm pretty sure![/quote]

Cool if it is, sounds like an awesome combo.

If you get one, or try it out, I would love to hear a review.

Edited by thebassman

I've used this GALLIEN KRUEGER R 400 RB/115 and it was average at best, IMO.

The MB212 sounds a lot of combo for £600 or so but from my experience I'd rather than get a second hand Markbass 102 combo
which slays the 400RB, IME.

How the new 212 combo in their product line stacks up, I don't know.

On the site talkbass.com, R.A.Gallien as know as "RAG" on the forum, talks about it

[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=689452&highlight="]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.p...&highlight=[/url]

[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=652159&highlight="]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.p...&highlight=[/url]

[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/search.php?searchid=4957796"]All posts by RAG[/url]

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1001045' date='Oct 26 2010, 12:53 PM']If you like the GK sound and neo speakers, I don't think you can really go wrong. :lol:[/quote]

Haha! :)

Exact same logic!

Now i just need to decide between the 212 and the 210...

212 - More expensive, but better lower notes (Think B and A) also more head room

210 - Cheaper - Better mid-range? (? as i'm not too sure, think A -D- G strings) lower wattage, more suited to most of what it would be for, (Smaller gigs and home practise but it still has a head phone jack! But i like to jam....)

will be playing a 6 string and hopefully a 7 (if i get one or get to borrow one again!)

opinions guys?

I've got my eyes and heart fixed one a GK and neo speakers and lightweight goodness so this is the dogs!

[quote name='dumelow' post='1005644' date='Oct 29 2010, 07:20 PM']im going to be buying one of the MB115's within the next month. very very excited but also a bit miffed that it seems the least popular of the three =S[/quote]

Haha i'm just not into 1 15" cabs

plus its only 200W where as the The 210 is 350 - 500 with extension, the 212 is 500, and the 112 is a bit weedy!

When you get it we can all report back together! might not be gettong one for some time though =/

I always thought that the 12" speakers gave a bit more mids than 10s or 15s (not specifically GK, but in general). Might be wrong though. :)

If you really can't make up your mind, I'd pick on whether or not you plan to add an extension cab to it personally. I imagine any of them (with the exception of the 112) would be giggable without though.

I have had my GK MB210 for about 6 months or so .
It is a great amp for the money, the light weight is unbelievable, everybody that hears it cant believe its so light .
These amps have great tone but can get very boomy as the volume goes up, I keep the bass EQ right down to prevent this, it has a lot of headroom for such a small amp, I gigged it last week and it sounded very nice in a pubs large function room, easily kept up with drums and guitar .
One down point, if you want the matching MBE 210 extension cabinet, forget it, they seem to be as rare as rocking horse doodah, have been ringing around for many months and nobody can give a date ??
The main talking point on other forums is the lack of bracing and lining in the amp, mine is as supplied but I have considered doing these mods if I keep the amp much longer, I am getting fed up waiting for the extension cab, one day I am bound to get a gig where the little MB210 is not powerful enough, my patience is wearing thin so I might consider another amp around xmas, not sure what though ?

As far as I know they are built in the GK owned factory in China .
I rang soundslive today to ask about the MBE210 cabinet, they dont have any dates for it, am getting fed up with GK because the cab has been out for months, shame as the amp on its own is great, just need the cab to release its full 500 watts .

[quote name='GRAHAM SG1' post='1009844' date='Nov 2 2010, 05:51 PM']As far as I know they are built in the GK owned factory in China .
I rang soundslive today to ask about the MBE210 cabinet, they dont have any dates for it, am getting fed up with GK because the cab has been out for months, shame as the amp on its own is great, just need the cab to release its full 500 watts .[/quote]

That seems the case all over!

Though i equally can't find a 212MB combo at all!

If anyone has seen one of these for sale used or online or what ever please tell us!

Tempted to order from Thomann, but sometimes they have been a bit ropey, and some stuff my brother ordered (amp wise) was EU voltage and some UK so its odd...

Not sure what's going on with GK gear in the UK at the moment, there's not much of any of it. I'm still waiting for a 410RBH and that's coming direct from Polar Audio to me when one comes into the country. Hopefully they should be getting a nice big shipment soon with all these lovely treats on.

The MB Fusion head (micro head with a valve pre!) is due out in December (if it doesn't get put back) and that looks pretty exciting. Hope that that's with us relatively soon.