Why become a member? ×

Once you go black....

[quote name='Anthony Joseph Waczek III' post='993432' date='Oct 19 2010, 12:49 PM']Finally adding some mods to the squier jazz, im going for all black hardware but I just need a little advice on machine head selection. Can anyone throw some good suggestions my way?

Cheers![/quote]

Hi Anthony. I fitted a set of Wilkinson keys to my CIJ P bass. They are a 'standard fit' so I'd guess they drop straight on a Squier, though I expect the screw holes may be in a different position if the plate is a different shape.

Here's a google pic

and a link to my own custom jobbie

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=87360&hl=deacon"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...0&hl=deacon[/url]

They are defintely available in black - I bought my gold ones from the 'bay.

[quote name='Anthony Joseph Waczek III' post='993798' date='Oct 19 2010, 05:26 PM']Cheers for the info Dood, all im after right now are the machine heads, black control plate and classic jazz knobs.[/quote]

No problem! The Schaller 'Fender replacements' (though I forget the exact name) should slot straight on too. I didn't think about mentioning the 'lightweight option' at the time. Hipshot do a range of 'elephant eared' keys. I expect the likes of Gotoh and Schaller might do too, but I haven't looked. Frpm a purely aesthetic point of view, I like the look of the Wilkinsons. I'm really fussy, but they have longer key stalks than that of say the schallers that make them stand further away from the headstock. To my eye it looks better! (Some CIJ basses come with a look-a-like key on them as standard)

I've just been in a similar situation searching for machine heads for the Fretless VC project which I bought from [i]Dr of the Bass[/i]. Needed a set of 2x2 Schallers - expensive compared to the replacements - but what do you do when you need the authentic item? Ended up going to Thomann - can't find the same item at a lower price anywhere. Lots of replica stuff available on eBay though it's hard to determine the quality - pick a seller and see what other items they've got..

[quote name='Anthony Joseph Waczek III' post='993843' date='Oct 19 2010, 05:53 PM']One make that crops up regularly is a make called Dr Parts, anyone got any experience with them?[/quote]

Seen an extensive range of them at the Guitar Fair that came to Preston earlier this year. The same fair is coming to Haslingden, Lancs, Crewe & Thirsk N. Yorks before the end of the year if you live anywhere near them? [url="http://www.b-visible.co.uk/businesses/72/mojo.html"]http://www.b-visible.co.uk/businesses/72/mojo.html[/url]
They seem to do a good wide range of parts but I don't know about the quality.
Have you tried All Parts, they used to be the most recommended source for bits.

Edited by Big_Stu

[quote name='Anthony Joseph Waczek III' post='993843' date='Oct 19 2010, 05:53 PM']I was initally hoping there would be some sort of parts store at the Manchester bass day :-/

One make that crops up regularly is a make called Dr Parts, anyone got any experience with them?[/quote]

I ordered some Dr Parts machine heads to try on my Encore restoration. Really poor quality IMHO. Gold finish was flaking off them and they just felt...nasty. Avoid at all costs mate.
I went with Gotoh's in the end, good quality tuners, they'll cost a bit more but they're worth it.