Why become a member? ×

5 string J-style basses

dirtystatic

I've always had sterling advice on these forums so I though I'd pick your collective brains before my next purchase.

Don't mind buying second hand. Will be for playing finger-style, I would like a slim fast neck and the B-string has to be tight... I've tried out a few Ibanez and Fender Jass Vs and the B was too loose for me

I'm in love with that Carvin SB5000 at the moment but it's way over budget and I've not seen many second hand.

Got a preference for rosewood fretboards and natural finishes but it's not all that important.

The MTD Kingston's would be a good place to start but don't come up on the used market very much. I heard a guy playing an MTD Z5 last month and it sounded very good.

I would also look at the various 5 string Lakland Skylines.

Both basses use 35" scale which seems to work well for 5'ers.

There are a lot of great 5 string jazzes from Japan. Moon, ESP, Fernandes and others made great stuff. Lots were made in the 1990's.

I have a Fernandes LEB J5 that plays and sounds like a boutique job but I paid just $250 used. I think the tight B string thing is a bit misguided but that's for another thread :) If you want more tension, use a thicker string. I use a 120 on this bass and play with a light touch and it sounds massive. This one has 17.5 mm string spacing at the bridge and a smoothly rounded slim neck.

[quote name='dirtystatic' post='993373' date='Oct 19 2010, 12:06 PM']....Are new Kingston's out of my budget?....[/quote]
Sorry I was looking at the prices on Ebay, but I'd forgotten that they will need to be imported from the States!

Mark at Bass Direct has an Indie. I don't know that make but it look pretty good. I'm sure he can fill you in.