Why become a member? ×

pain in index and middle finger of plucking hand

leroydiamond

hi folks
recently I have developed significant pain in the the index and middle fingers of my plucking hand. i have been playing bass for many years and guess this may be a case of wear and tear. Any sugestions regarding treatment? I am a semi pro, so taking a break from playing is not a real option right now and I would be reluctant to switch to a pick. Anyy suggestioins would be welcome,

Edited by leroydiamond

Do you rest your forearm on the bass? That could be causing a problem.Without seeing you play it's hard to say.
There's no reason to be reluctant to use a pick,especially if it helps to relieve some of the strain on
your fingers.

[quote name='Doddy' post='991649' date='Oct 17 2010, 09:22 PM']Do you rest your forearm on the bass? That could be causing a problem.Without seeing you play it's hard to say.
There's no reason to be reluctant to use a pick,especially if it helps to relieve some of the strain on
your fingers.[/quote]

yes i do rest my forearm on the bass. What is your opinion on this. thanks for your reply

[quote name='leroydiamond' post='993267' date='Oct 19 2010, 10:45 AM']yes i do rest my forearm on the bass. What is your opinion on this. thanks for your reply[/quote]

Basically,by resting your forearm on the bass you are constricting the blood flow to your hand.I'm also guessing that you have a relatively sharp wrist angle. It's possible to eventually develop CTS by doing both of these.
Try to raise your arm a little so that you are not resting it on the bass and try to keep your wrists pretty straight. Everyone does these things at times,but if you can get out of the habit,it's worth it in the long run.

[quote name='Doddy' post='993364' date='Oct 19 2010, 12:01 PM']Basically,by resting your forearm on the bass you are constricting the blood flow to your hand.I'm also guessing that you have a relatively sharp wrist angle. It's possible to eventually develop CTS by doing both of these.
Try to raise your arm a little so that you are not resting it on the bass and try to keep your wrists pretty straight. Everyone does these things at times,but if you can get out of the habit,it's worth it in the long run.[/quote]

Thanks for the feedback. I will work on adjusting my right hand position. It will be achalllenge as that hand has been resting on the body of a bass guitar for over 30 years!