Why become a member? ×

Steve Harris Strings

Delberthot

Did Steve Harris really get the sound of Phantom of the Opera using his Roto flats back then?

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LDmEVtGF0g"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LDmEVtGF0g[/url]

And on Killers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwY3Ftfdy6M"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwY3Ftfdy6M[/url]

They sound mighty round to me.

It sounds like my most aggressive finger playing with rounds although I haven;t tried the Steve Harris ones. I have used TIs and Chromes.

Edited by Delberthot

I'm 99% certain he did, i met him in person while he was noodle-ing (? haha) on a bass (his sig witrh sigg strings) in london, i tried the bass the day after and all i got was smooth flats retro P sound,

He is a MONSTER tone from his fingers man!

Phantom of the opera sounds very much like flats to me, or is that just me? (note to self learn phantom of the opera!)

Just my two pence piece like

hmm, .Something to think about - I'm pretty much doing no slap these days so flats may be an option.

I use 3 songs for my right hand workout - Phantom of the Opera, The Trooper and Parallel Universe by the Chilis

At least Phantom has a bit of a breather in the middle - The Trooper is relentless from beginning to end with those triplets

I'm also 99% sure he used flats on Phantom anyway - it has that 'clank' that I associate with his sound that can definitely be attributed to using flatwounds. Never tried flats on a fretted Precision bass myself actually, although it's definitely on my to-do (to buy) list!

This is gold guys - I don't play a precision (at least not any more) but am intrigued.

I think I need to find myself a set of Steve Harris Rotos. the only problem being that I play very close to the bridge so those high tension buggers would be a nightmare to play- are the normal Rotos the same so I can get a lighter gauge?

Edited by Delberthot

The Steve Harris Rotos are fantastic strings, I use them on my 80s Squire P and, of course, on my Steve Harris Sig. P. They're really easy to play, even close to the bridge.

I've perviously asked about the difference between the SH77s and the Jazz 77 and no-one has ever answered (or I haven't noticed they've answered). I have a feeling it's just the silk winding colour.

[quote name='bartelby' post='988783' date='Oct 15 2010, 06:58 AM']The Steve Harris Rotos are fantastic strings, I use them on my 80s Squire P and, of course, on my Steve Harris Sig. P. They're really easy to play, even close to the bridge.

I've perviously asked about the difference between the SH77s and the Jazz 77 and no-one has ever answered (or I haven't noticed they've answered). I have a feeling it's just the silk winding colour.[/quote]

I've often wondered the same. If they are the same string as the Jazz 77, then he must have huge hand strength! :)

[quote name='retroman' post='990861' date='Oct 17 2010, 08:29 AM']I've often wondered the same. If they are the same string as the Jazz 77, then he must have huge hand strength! :)[/quote]

I've just emailed Rotosound, lets see if they reply with anything.

[quote name='Delberthot' post='993747' date='Oct 19 2010, 04:42 PM']in other words the silk is a different colour and they're heavier guage. :)

I think I'll try a set next time my strings need changing which will probably be the new year now.

Cheers for the info[/quote]

It's not even a difference in gauge, as they do the Jazz 77s in 50-110. The next set of strings I buy will be the normal Jazz 77s, in about a month's time.

[quote name='Delberthot' post='988715' date='Oct 15 2010, 12:56 AM']I use 3 songs for my right hand workout - Phantom of the Opera, The Trooper and Parallel Universe by the Chilis[/quote]

Doesn't Flea use a pick on Parallel Universe? If you play that with your fingers you must be a glutton for punishment! :)

• 4 weeks later...

Right, I bought a set of 45 flats and man am I impressed.

Used them last night for the first gig and absolutely love them. I'm assuming that they are really bright to begin with but will dull down over time.

The most amazing fret clack I have ever heard. I thought I was playing my old Warwick Thumb at one point the sound was so close.

I'm going to do a full review at the end of year once I'm convinced they've bedded in.

I must have been playing like a Trojan cos my index and middle finger fingers on my right hand are so sore

Well after a few gigs I'm very impressed. It may have lot to do with the bass they're on, my Thunderbird, but they sound really aggressive and not even remotely 'flat' sounding. They're more roundwounds that have done dozen gigs sounding.

I managed to get the action even lower when installed these as they are slightly higher tension than the strings I was using so don't flap as much, although the Hartkes felt stiff enough when I was using them.

It still sounds very Warwick Thumb sounding at times but that could be partly due to me favouring the bridge pickup, in fact the neck one is rarely on at all.

I'm a happy bunny so far. I'll report back after the Christmas party nights are done and dusted as they should be as settled in as they're going to get by then