Why become a member? ×

Acme Low B2 Cabs.

Soliloquy

If you're in the market for a new cab, and you're considering a Bergantino or other such high end cab, then add one of these to your short list.

I've owned pretty much every make of cab at some point in the last 20 years, but this beats them all, seriously !

I ordered it from Andy at Acme last Friday evening and it arrived via Fedex this morning, how's that for service ?

It's incredibly well built, very much like the proverbial tank ! But it's still an easy lift. I ordered an 8ohm cab, I plan on buying another one the same in the next month or so.

It's a '3 way' design, featuring two Eminence woofers, a mid range driver and a really nice tweeter. The mid range driver and the tweeter levels can both be adjusted by seperate attenuators located on the rear of the cab.

I've been using it with my Markbass LM3, and I'm very impressed.
The sound from this thing is amazing. It's very, very clear but deep. There's no 'boominess' at all, just deep natural sounding bass. I've been lucky enough to record in some very nice recording studios, and the sound from this is just like you hear cming out of good quality monitors.

A low B sounds like a low B. The cab goes down to 31Hz which is the fundamental of the B string. Most other cabs don't get anywhere near this. I've read that manufacturers 'tune' their cabs to sound 'big' on low notes, masking the fact that they can't actually faithfully reproduce the note being played.

The cost of this including shipping and import taxes/VAT is less than a Bergantino 2x10 and compares favourably with other manufacturers 2x10's, but it far, far better than any of them.

It's probably not ideal for rock or metal, because it's just too clean sounding. But for funk, jazz and anything else it's ideal.

Edited by Soliloquy

I've always thought about getting the B1...but I'm just too much of a jessie to order from the States without seeing/hearing one (or a pair). Looks like Acme are going with lighter speakers at some point "soon" so I'll be keeping an eye out for these. Meanwhile I might get my Barefeced Midget later this week....hehehe

Just chiming in with a little Acme love...

I own a single 4 ohm B2. It's great, and has served me well for soul, jazz, funk. Plenty loud enough for my needs with 450-500W of power going into it. I currently kick it's butt with a Markbass F1 or the TC RH450 (I prefer the latter a touch, though appreciate having the lightness of the F1).

I'm trying out Alex's Barefaced Midget T today though (lighter, more compact, might be just the thing for rehearsals) and I can't wait to see how the two compare.

Pete