Why become a member? ×

Behringer V AMP Bass Pro

markstuk

Just thought I would share my experiences...

I've always been a bit of a minimalist (in terms of addon/fx's) preferring to run big decent quality rigs to get a great, but narrow, range of tones.

I also have to confess I'm a keyboard player and needed to start using my feet more to help with rapid patch changes as I don't want to lug around a Rick Wakeman size setup.. So a couple of months ago I bought a "faulty" ART X15 Ultrafoot controller, reset it to defaults and suddenly it was no longer faulty.. Result for £20...

The band I'm playing bass in at the moment covers a wide range of material and suddenly I needed to be a bit more flexible in terms of tone/textures and having already got the foot controller I looked around for MIDI driven amp/cab modellers with some effects.. I acquired a Behringer V-AMP bass pro (yes, cheap, nasty, horrid I know) on the basis that if it sort of worked ok it would encourage me to get something better (and £55 posted was not a huge price to pay)..

I did some reading on the talkbass.com and set the unit up as was suggested by them rather than Behringer..

To say I'm gobsmacked is an understatement.. This is probably the most effective £55 I've ever spend on gear.

It's quiet, does not sound thin or over processed, and the inbuilt tuner works a treat.. It may break down, but hey, I'll buy a spare... Most of the reported issues seem to come from people not realising it has an CR2032 watch battery you need to change every few years. I've got three in my case, they cost 50p each..

Cheers

Mark

I tend to agree that most of them have never tried the kit... I did look at a Line 6 X3 live a few weeks ago - and I much prefer the Behringer....This may have been down to an incompetent sales kid but the Behringer sounds more real and less processed..

Edited by markstuk

I`ve got the Behringer BD121, and previously had the Sansamp Bass Driver. The Sansamp was better constructed, and yes, did sound better, but it was £200. The Behringer in £30ish. I`ve used both for recording, and was equally happy with the Behringer as the Sansamp. Not used the Behringer live, so can`t pass comment there, but certainly, Behringer isn`t the runt of the litter that people say it is.

I like my BDi21 a lot, but I tend to use the acoustic version the ADi21 more. The eq sounds fantastic with an acoustic bass or electric upright bass & makes my cheapo chinese fender stratacoustic guitar sound a lot more classy on recordings.

After trying many different compressors, I finally found exactly what I was looking for in their BLE100 limiter/enhancer - not quite a compressor, but it turns out I needed a limiter all along.