Why become a member? ×

Yamaha RBX 374 Upgrades

BASainty

[quote name='ezbass' post='977954' date='Oct 5 2010, 07:36 AM']Changing the pick ups and pre amp would be your first port of call if you want to improve the tone. However, if you love every bit of it do you really need/want to change it?[/quote]

Yeh i see your point but im someone who if i think there is room for improvement i will do it.
Plus this is not definite im going too this is more of a guide for future references and just for me to see any possible options i have if you get me?

What pickups/pre amp would you suggest?

Edited by 4StringFortress

Rather depends on what tone you're going for and what will fit if you're upgrading the Yammy unless you're happy to have it routed. For p/ups you can go for Seymour Duncans, DiMarzio, Wizard, Nordstrand, etc, there's quite a list. For pre amps you have Seymour Duncan again, Aguilar, East (UK manufacturer and recommended) and quite a few others (I'm having a senior moment and think of anyone else!). A lot of it will be down to what you're looking for, what you can possibly demo (either already fitted in a shop, on approval if they do it or via web samples) and availability. For my part I really enjoy upgrading and messing about with basses and have had good results with Seymour Duncan and DiMarzio p/ups and East pre amps. YMMV.

I have upgraded my Yammi until nothing but the wood remained original (nice shape isn't it) ...

Different pickup was a good step up, but the biggest improvement in tone was upgrading the bridge from really crap fender p bass style to a heavy mass Schaller 4D - wooow suddenly it feels just like playing a Warwick of some kind (guys, don't be offended)

It depends on what you've got on there, really, as any part of the hard ware can be changed and improved to taste.

[quote name='iconic' post='979290' date='Oct 6 2010, 12:10 PM']I put a set of Ernie Ball Group III flat wounds on mine and liked it even more.....great basses.[/quote]

What kinda sound and tone did that give with flat wounds on it?

I was considering putting flat wounds on there.

Also anyone know what would be a good bridge to put on it? one that will fit without too much trouble.

[quote name='4StringFortress' post='979322' date='Oct 6 2010, 12:54 PM']What kinda sound and tone did that give with flat wounds on it?

I was considering putting flat wounds on there.

Also anyone know what would be a good bridge to put on it? one that will fit without too much trouble.[/quote]

Nothing wrong with the bridge on a 374, it's a lovely big diecast slab like job, not a bit of bent tin like a Fender or a Squier, I should know I have a VMJ and Fender P bass :lol:

To be honest I wouldn't spend too much money on it, if any, you may be dissapointed with the results, the std hardware is real sweet....good tuners the finish on them is sublime and mine simply refused to go out of tune, ohh and they have some very hot pups std, with good range EQ...unless you go to TRB or high end BB you may not notice the difference for pound per tone.

...as I said if you a change 'slap' a set of those EB flats on it....they have a real smooooooooooth silky feeling and make the tone much like an 'old' P bass...or dare I say less Hi-Fi...the RBX can sound a little 'bright' with those std D'Addario Blue strings, but, amazingly you can still slap them EB's, if you crank up the treble and put the pan pot over onto the bridge pup you can get some great sounds out of them.

....see you have a BB414 too, good choice of basses you have there... :)

Edited by iconic

[quote name='iconic' post='980623' date='Oct 7 2010, 03:23 PM']Nothing wrong with the bridge on a 374, it's a lovely big diecast slab like job, not a bit of bent tin like a Fender or a Squier, I should know I have a VMJ and Fender P bass :lol:

To be honest I wouldn't spend too much money on it, if any, you may be dissapointed with the results, the std hardware is real sweet....good tuners the finish on them is sublime and mine simply refused to go out of tune, ohh and they have some very hot pups std, with good range EQ...unless you go to TRB or high end BB you may not notice the difference for pound per tone.

...as I said if you a change 'slap' a set of those EB flats on it....they have a real smooooooooooth silky feeling and make the tone much like an 'old' P bass...or dare I say less Hi-Fi...the RBX can sound a little 'bright' with those std D'Addario Blue strings, but, amazingly you can still slap them EB's, if you crank up the treble and put the pan pot over onto the bridge pup you can get some great sounds out of them.

....see you have a BB414 too, good choice of basses you have there... :)[/quote]

Thanks for the advice yea im really happy with my 374 sounds great =]
Im currently running some Elites Stadiums on it which I gota be honest I love!
But iv always been a fan of Flats like to play with either a warm smooth sound or a warm punchy sound so i would of thought Flats would be the best for that.

How much are the EB Flats? And also im wondering what strings to put on my BB414 any suggestions?

And yea I love Yamaha basses like my RBX doesnt feel like A bass it feels like MY bass if I could have a custom made bass that would be it basically =]

And yea I have the Red Metallic finish on my RBX, I would love to personalise it i just dont know what I would do! lol.

Also thanks for the +1 janmaat =]