Why become a member? ×

Bassists who don't play on their bands records?

MacDaddy

[quote name='bassatnight' post='976132' date='Oct 3 2010, 04:53 PM']John Taylor of Duran fame famously only played a bit part on the Powerstation project, I know that Guy Pratt played on some of it as did the producer of course.[/quote]

But if the producer in question is Bernard Edwards then I suppose it would be rude to not let him have a go!

[quote name='chris_b' post='976643' date='Oct 4 2010, 02:57 AM']....and then everyone is trying to buy the same gear the regular bass player uses because they think that is what is on the record!![/quote]

Exactly. Hence the complete crock of sh*t that is signature models. You can count on one hand the musos who use their signature models on their own records, even if they're playing the tracks themselves.

It just makes me f*cking laugh every time I see someone walk out of a store with a signature model. Yeah, these guys are using studios where they can hire vintage Gibsons and Fenders, do you [i]really[/i] think they're going to cut the entire record on a $300 Washburn?

It's spot on about Billy Corgan in the Smashing Pumpkins. There's plenty of documentary footage and interviews where he and the other band members have been pretty candid about it. He'll do pretty much all the guitars and the bass because 'he can do it in fewer takes', and because he knows what he wants it to sound like. On the second album particularly, you can pretty much pick out the guitar parts that aren't his.

[quote name='maxrossell' post='976668' date='Oct 4 2010, 07:31 PM']Exactly. Hence the complete crock of sh*t that is signature models. You can count on one hand the musos who use their signature models on their own records, even if they're playing the tracks themselves.

It just makes me f*cking laugh every time I see someone walk out of a store with a signature model. Yeah, these guys are using studios where they can hire vintage Gibsons and Fenders, do you [i]really[/i] think they're going to cut the entire record on a $300 Washburn?[/quote]

hey if it's good enough for Kip Winger , it's good enough for me
hey, what thread is this.