Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Effects Explanation

silentbob

Hi, just wondering if there was a comprehensive list anywhere online explaining what all the different types of effect are, how they work, and maybe some song references for checking out the different sounds. I know what some basic ones do, distortion, chorus, ect, but what the hell is an envelope filter and why would i want one?

There'll be an exhaustive list somewhere. I say ye google.

To actuallt be vaguely helpful, an envelope filter is a filter that affects the signal based on the amplitude of the input signal (basically how hard you play). In most filters (up sweep), playing harder makes the filter effect stronger. It's called an envelope filter because there's a trhing called the signal envelope that's actually kinda complicated. I'm not sure I can really explain what a filter itself is without using the words quack and squelch. So it makes your bass quack and squelch.

There are different types of filter that use different methods to control the filter effect. A wah is basically a manual a filter (hence why envelope filters are sometimes called auto-wahs, although this is wrong because any filter that you don't have to control manually is an auto-wah), you can get sequencer controlled filters and LFO controlled filters and other things, but envelope filters are the most popular among bassists.

The envelope is the way a sound's amplitude changes thru time

It has 4 stages (normally) attack, decay, sustain release.

An envelope filter is like a wah pedal, except the wah is opened a different amount the more volume it gets, as you play each note the change in volume of signal changes how much the filter opens, and then closes, giving a very precise wah sweep open and then shut through the duration of the note.

I hope that helps....