Why become a member? ×

1970s Columbus Jap Crap Project

Soloshchenko

Just got this nice little 1970s Columbus Jazz bass for a cool £70 on ebay. Really chuffed because been looking for a cheap project for a bit.

The bass came fully working but full of gunk on the neck.

I'm looking to refinish the bass in black (w/black pickguard), re shape the chunky neck (apparently this is fairly easy, I'd really welcome any advice as never done it before) and change the pickups to some Fender Mexican Jazz pickups I have lying around. Also gonna test the theory that leaving metal in coke shines it up on most of the hardware (does this actually work?).

Anyway, just finished taking off the original finish. Took me 4 hours with a heat gun and scraper. Not as tricky as Ithought it would be. Don't think I'm going for a natural finish on this particular piece of ply!

Edited by Soloshchenko

[quote name='ahpook' post='967926' date='Sep 25 2010, 07:58 PM']it's cleaned up nicely - good work that man.[/quote]

Cheers mate, was actually surprised how easy it was taking the front and back off with the heat gun. The sides were tricky but I thought I would take advantage of the nice weather up north today.

Next step sanding, filling then final sanding before applying the new finish.

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='968219' date='Sep 26 2010, 11:03 AM']bit of Glow in the dark paint, bit of sandpaper... Great that you got it for £70 though. Mine was £150, in much better nick than it is now though lolz.[/quote]

Yeah, I was made up with the price to be honest. It might have helped that 2 other Columbus basses went that day.

Okay so I've sanded the remains of the finish off and wood filled her. Minor moan, Ronseal woodfiller is crap out of a tube. They've made the end so small it won;t come out and this is clearly orange rather than the "natural" it said on the tin! Good job I'm going for a solid colour.

Hi, not seen one of these since I sold my old one back in 88. I learned to play on it. It was a state when I got it and I did a refinish in Ford midnight blue and grey pickups. I thought it looked the mutts nuts when I was 17. Cost me £40 and my old fishing rod at the local 2nd hand shop. It played pretty well as I remember. Played it for hours.
Good work hope it goes well.
Cheers Just

Edited by Subthumper

Interesting, looks like yours has a sandwich body with front & back veneers, you find these on a lot of middle-range JapCraps. Mine was proper stripy, splintery plywood, but otherwise identical.

I've turned my nose up at a good few of these because I assumed the bodies were rubbish!

J.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Bassassin' post='970877' date='Sep 28 2010, 04:55 PM']Interesting, looks like yours has a sandwich body with front & back veneers, you find these on a lot of middle-range JapCraps. Mine was proper stripy, splintery plywood, but otherwise identical.

I've turned my nose up at a good few of these because I assumed the bodies were rubbish!

J.[/quote]

Mine is like that too. It's 3 layers thick.

:)

I'm doing a recording with this bass. It actually sounds totally awesome even though it looks like $hite!

Yeah my tuners are the smaller ones like on Eds. In fact the more I look at Ed's before he changed the neck and everything the more I think they are really, really similar, possibly the same year? Sure Jon could help there.

Flea, that is awesome that you got your PUs rewired. Does Andy provide such a service? I have Wizards in my main squeeze (a MIM jazz) and I love them. In fact the original MIM PUs will be tried out in this project.

I love how you've get yours mainly original but tweaked the parts to your tastes. Mine is ultimately going to look really unoriginal in comparison, mainly due to me not liking the thick neck which needs totally sanding down and re shaping. btw is yours fairly chunky as well? I'm even thinking custom decal because I'll lose the Columbus one when I strip the poly finish. Apologies in advance to the Japcrap purists!

At the minute I have the bass totally filled and ready for final sanding before starting the nitro process begins. After much thought and a quick flirt at Sherwood Green metallic I've decided to stick to the original idea of Black.

I think the big old elephant type tuners seem to suit JB's and PB's, so i'm happy to keep them on, even though the finish
has aged a lot.
Yep, this pickup. It was dead, and in trying to fix it, the end of the windings came off the hot and ground wires, and when you see the width of the copper winding, its time to give in. I sent Andy a dead pup, copper wires trailing.
Came back in a couple of days all fixed. The guys a star i tell ya.

Unlike yours, I like the neck on mine, as it seems to be very slim, which i prefer. By the way, take a photo of your Col. decal, as there's plenty of guys on Evilbay that will knock a copy out for you. Just make sure you get a Waterslide decal and not Vinyl or similar

Edited by fleabag

[quote name='fleabag' post='989495' date='Oct 15 2010, 06:01 PM']I think the big old elephant type tuners seem to suit JB's and PB's, so i'm happy to keep them on, even though the finish
has aged a lot.
Yep, this pickup. It was dead, and in trying to fix it, the end of the windings came off the hot and ground wires, and when you see the width of the copper winding, its time to give in. I sent Andy a dead pup, copper wires trailing.
Came back in a couple of days all fixed. The guys a star i tell ya.

Unlike yours, I like the neck on mine, as it seems to be very slim, which i prefer. By the way, take a photo of your Col. decal, as there's plenty of guys on Evilbay that will knock a copy out for you. Just make sure you get a Waterslide decal and not Vinyl or similar[/quote]

Cheers for the advice mate, I'll do that. Quite like the Columbus decal and might be nice to keep it's history intact if I can.

[quote name='Soloshchenko' post='989476' date='Oct 15 2010, 05:44 PM']Yeah my tuners are the smaller ones like on Eds. In fact the more I look at Ed's before he changed the neck and everything the more I think they are really, really similar, possibly the same year? Sure Jon could help there.[/quote]

Actually the original neck is the current neck. Long story...

[quote name='Soloshchenko' post='989476' date='Oct 15 2010, 05:44 PM']Yeah my tuners are the smaller ones like on Eds. In fact the more I look at Ed's before he changed the neck and everything the more I think they are really, really similar, possibly the same year? Sure Jon could help there.[/quote]
Yours & Ed's (and my old one) are the same - rosewood board, little tuners, chrome truss cover & Gibson-type nut. The maple neck's more accurate which probably made it a slightly more expensive model, although everything else looks the same.

J.

• 6 months later...