Why become a member? ×

strings for kubicki x factor

Tdw

I would like to restring my kubicki x factor but dont want to order strings from kubicki in america, so i was wondering if any x factor owners could let me know of any types of string which are compatible with the extended e(d) string system on the bass and are available through normal channels in the uk? Presumably i want extra long strings of some sort?

I had an Ex-Factor when they were fairly new basses and IIRC I specifically bought heavy gauge strings and that I ensured that the strings didn't have a stepped taper that started just after the nut... the Ex-Factor has a shorter scale on the A/D/G strings and is it standard or slightly longer on the E? You've got me thinking now! :)

the scale length on the low string is 36" as pointed out by chris2112, i measured the length of the strings on my other basses the rotosound 66s and the elite players werent quite long enough but i think the elite stadiums were just about there, i might order some if no one has any more suggestions. :)

[quote name='Tdw' post='966311' date='Sep 24 2010, 01:30 AM']the scale length on the low string is 36" as pointed out by chris2112, i measured the length of the strings on my other basses the rotosound 66s and the elite players werent quite long enough but i think the elite stadiums were just about there, i might order some if no one has any more suggestions. :)[/quote]

I could buy your Kubicki and carry on with the mission?

I've had my coral pink one for nearly 20 years, Elites always worked fine but for the last 13 years, the Picatos I use on everything have worked perfectly well in both of my Kubickis. Cutting the string excess can be a little hit and miss at first but once you get the lengths right, it's easy enough to cut strings using the old string as a guide.

Enjoy!

Mike

Thanks for the replys ,im afriad its not for sale schnozzalee but you should get one anyway they sound great! thanks to jase the bass and mike brooks for the suggestions, now i know elites, picatos and super slinkys will fit it should be easy to get strings for it. :)

Hey all

I have a Phillip Kubicki ex factor in black. I just generally go to my local music store and by a set of strings with the end's in black if I can. This is generally what i use and they work great for it.

Gauge .045 .065 .085 .105

Now it would be up to you on weather or not you want to use nickel or stainless. With that set of stings you will still be able to drop to D instantly when you release the string clasp and visa verse when you want to go back to E. So hopefully that will work for you.

here is the link to my photobucket [url="http://s1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa325/Panther73/Phillip%20Kubicki/"]http://s1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa325/...llip%20Kubicki/[/url]

Edited by Midnight

On the subject of gauges, the kubicki strings sold on the website are only 45 gauge, somewhere else on the website it also says that a slightly heavier gauge string is required for the x factor because of the 32" scale. So it looks like kubicki recomend 45 gauge.

[quote name='Chris2112' post='967744' date='Sep 25 2010, 03:12 PM']I used to have some .30's on my white Ex-Factor, that was a crazy time! Sounds best with .40's I reckon.[/quote]

I currently have a set of Olympia strings on mine, .30 to .85.
I'll definitely try .40 or .35 next time, as these feel a tad too floppy for my taste, but I dig the really light touch.

[quote name='Tdw' post='968647' date='Sep 26 2010, 06:13 PM']On the subject of gauges, the kubicki strings sold on the website are only 45 gauge, somewhere else on the website it also says that a slightly heavier gauge string is required for the x factor because of the 32" scale. So it looks like kubicki recomend 45 gauge.[/quote]

Well, this is what Phil recommends for getting a "normal feel" from the bass. With the decreased scale length there is a small loss in string tension compared to a 34" scale bass, hence Phil recommending the slightly heavier than normal strings to get a "familiar" feel in the fingers. Of course, the bass works perfectly well just .40's. I used to use Fodera Stainless Steel .40's and they were really, really good strings.

I use Ernie Ball Slinkys on mine. They do have a tapered end to the string, but the the taper on the E string just about misses the head of the saddle on mine. Gauge is .45...

Actually I have a question for the other Ex Factor owners on here: is yours a relatively quiet bass? I'm talking about maximum volume output compared to other basses. Even in active mode mine seems to have a lower output than my other basses for some reason... :)

Hmmm. Strange...

I guess there are some differences between yours and mine though - mine is 'post-Fender' with the 18v active circuit.

Maybe I'm using the wrong brand of batteries? Usually I use Duracells, but my Kubicki has Energisers in - would that make much of a difference?

PS: Sorry for hijacking this thread...

• 1 month later...

well I'm not sure what year my Phillip Kubicki EX Factor is. I know I bought it in an around 1991-92. It says on the back of the headstock Custom shop Fender USA. I do know that whatever mode I'm playing it is loud and clear. No matter where my Pan is set at either. I just use the standard .45 gauge strings and I am good to go. I only have one 9v battery in it. I am assuming that I have a post fender Kubicki EX Factor. I know that I called and actually Talked to Phillip Kubicki about it and he said that he separated from Fender. I am not sure what voltage it is exactly. I do know that for equalization the signal can be boosted to 17dB in the active modes by the battery powered solid state electronics. Again for the strings I prefer the .045 .065 .085 .105 stainless. I do know that you can get them from Kubicki for $30.00 a set and shipped outside the USA for only $11.00. Not A bad deal. If anyone has any other questions I do still have my owners manual that came with the bass.
I just wish that I would have kept my fist ex factor that I had in white. It has a horrible paint job on it. So I called Phillip Kubicki and I actually got to talk to him personally about the bass. He sincerely apologized for the bass and asked me to send it to him for him to take a look at it. He called me back directly himself when he saw the bass and said it was his fault for the horrible paint job and was going to replace it for free with a brand new one. Well I asked him if I could get it in black instead with his autograph. He said that for 500.00 I could get one that was damaged a little bit in someway ( say a scratch or a little dent, something very very minor). So I said yes and paid him the $500.00 and he sent with it 2 sets of strings with it. So when I got the bass in 2 days it did come in black, however, it was not damaged in anyway. I looked and looked and finally realized that he sent me a brand new EX Factor in black with his autograph and 2 sets of strings for $500.00. For that act of kindness I will always bye my stings from him. To me they just sound the best when they are on!!!!!!

[url="http://s1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa325/Panther73/Phillip%20Kubicki/"]http://s1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa325/...llip%20Kubicki/[/url]

Here is my Phillip Kubicki Ex Factor in black!!!!!

If it takes a single 9V battery and has the Fender custom shop stamp it's a Fender era Kubicki. You'll notice it doesn't have the 6 position preamp of Pre Fender, crossover and post Fender models.

I used to have a white Ex Factor too, that was another class bass. Not as good as the red one I have now though, between that and my ACG, I've never been so happy with my collection.