Why become a member? ×

Low Cost 5 String Help!

JFielden

Hey Guys!

I am here to ask for some sage advice =D

I've had a cheap, nasty 5 string bass before (first bass n'all), 3 years later I'm wanting a 5 string again... For the obvious practicality of lower notes!

Now then, other than my local guitar shop that specializes in Vintage basses (-.-), I would have to make a day trip to visit a worthwhile guitar shop, which is a pain in the arse!

So my question is simple.. A great 5 string bass, with enough tone and playability for most uses, with a budget of £300, at a push, £400, but only if i got to play it and it steals my heart!

Cheers!
J

there is a lack of IMO of 5vers in this price range....if it was me i would buy a Fender MIM Deluxe jazz..there is a sunburst one on ebay for 300 squids..marvelous bass imo....save up a bit more and stick in a aguilar preamp (£100 ish) and some DR's high beams...there you have it...instant monster boutique killer jazz bass...

let me know and ill let you know the email of who is selling (permission of course) if hes not sold already

[quote name='bubinga5' post='966016' date='Sep 23 2010, 08:01 PM']there is a lack of IMO of 5vers in this price range....if it was me i would buy a Fender MIM Deluxe jazz..there is a sunburst one on ebay for 300 squids..marvelous bass imo....save up a bit more and stick in a aguilar preamp (£100 ish) and some DR's high beams...there you have it...instant monster boutique killer jazz bass...

let me know and ill let you know the email of who is selling (permission of course) if hes not sold already[/quote]

I love Jazz Basses! However I was thinking more around Xmas to purchase (Bday and Xmas are close dates for me)... I can't expect them to hold it untill then really :/ Which sucks

[quote name='JFielden' post='966019' date='Sep 23 2010, 08:05 PM']I love Jazz Basses! However I was thinking more around Xmas to purchase (Bday and Xmas are close dates for me)... I can't expect them to hold it untill then really :/ Which sucks[/quote]it wont be the only one bro there are lots of MIM 5 string jazzers around...make sure you get the deluxe active model with the pre....tis uch better with the noiseless pups..correct me if wrong..

some of the Iby's are cool though....would still have the Fender over anything at this price..the tone will kill anything...if thats what you like of course..

coming up to and Xmas is your best time to snag one.... :)

Edited by bubinga5

I bought my Lakland 55-01 used for £400. It's a fantastic bass for that money. Hangs with anything under a grand (and to me it's better than the musicman stingray 5 i used to have). Also, if you can find one, there's the Cort RB5/Josh Paul signature. If you can handle the tight string spacing an Ibanez atk305 is worth a look too.

[quote name='JFielden' post='965833' date='Sep 23 2010, 05:07 PM']It's a bit Fugly IMO D=

I did look at this however

[url="http://www.dv247.com/guitars/yamaha-rbx375-5-string-active-bass-guitar-dark-oriental-green--58982"]http://www.dv247.com/guitars/yamaha-rbx375...al-green--58982[/url][/quote]

And i'm actually thinking of getting one of these! LOVE the look, though which colour! haha

[quote name='Bigwan' post='966130' date='Sep 23 2010, 09:25 PM']I bought my Lakland 55-01 used for £400. It's a fantastic bass for that money. Hangs with anything under a grand (and to me it's better than the musicman stingray 5 i used to have). Also, if you can find one, there's the Cort RB5/Josh Paul signature. If you can handle the tight string spacing an Ibanez atk305 is worth a look too.[/quote]
i agree..the 55-01 is a killer bass.. the Elrick/Cort is great aswell..both are great but the Laky tops it for feel i think....if you can get one for that money i will be very jealous..ive been after one...those basses are well up there...if you change the old bart pre and pups, i would even say they are up there with the USA Laklands..i know that sound obsurd but ive played both and there isnt that much between them..

i had a 55-01 with a nordstrand fatstack and another nordstrand pickup, i cant remember, with a glockenklang pre amp and it was way better than my Sei..that is in tone..

Edited by bubinga5

+1 on the Ibanez... I have an 2003 SR765 MIJ which plays very well.. If you want a wider string spacing and a longer scale one of the five string Ibanez BTB's with Bartolini PU's might be worth a look .. I have a four string 2008 BTB470 which has a very different character but that's one of the reasons I like it...I prefer both of them to the Rickenbacker 4001 I used to have...

Both of these cost me less than £300 on the bay. and the BTB came with a hardcase for that as well..

Cheers

Mark

In your price range I would suggest a BB615 or perhaps one of the Ibanez (EDB555) basses. The RBX has a floppy B-string (and the MIM Fender V's tend to have a dark, muffled B ). The Lakland, if you could get one, would probably be far and away the best at this price point. 5-strings are a lot more difficult to find on a budget.

Edited by XB26354

[quote name='XB26354' post='966349' date='Sep 24 2010, 08:05 AM']In your price range I would suggest a BB615 or perhaps one of the Ibanez (EDB555) basses. The RBX has a floppy B-string (and the MIM Fender V's tend to have a dark, muffled B ). The Lakland, if you could get one, would probably be far and away the best at this price point. 5-strings are a lot more difficult to find on a budget.[/quote]

Would the Floppy B still be an issue with a high gauge B? as i tend to use rather heavy strings, like a .110 for an E?

I've played A BB615 and didn't get on with it, though i liked it alot, but the 414 is awesome, wish i'd bought one,

I think the BTBs are sweet looking, i'd kill for a 676! buts its almost £700 :)

well thats just me haha kinda hijacked this thread a bit
=S

I got my Cort Corbow 5 from Thomann. It lists at around £500 but I got it (last September) for £322 (with free shipping!). For the price its a great bass - very playable, if slightly limited in it's tonal range. Fortunately, its basic tone is good and very "usable".

Looks are a bit strange TBH - I like it, but I know that others hate it!

Just another suggestion to mull over!

[quote name='Old_Ben' post='966561' date='Sep 24 2010, 12:00 PM']You said you didn't like vintages...But i've been playing a v950 for over a few years now, its an awesome bass IMO

[url="http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/14237-vintage-v950-bubinga-5-string.html"]http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/1423...a-5-string.html[/url][/quote]

Well I'm playing a Vintage Jazz atm, i love the action (mild buzz but i'd rather that over high action), love the neck and the tones are pretty nice, it's my main bass over my thunderbird simply because the tone is a bit lighter. It's a well made bass, but I don't think i want another vintage, i'd like to try something else, i've played practically ever vintage bass available through my local.

I liked the V950 untill i plugged it in and played with the active electronics.. It goes from full on to full off, i don't think they're well balanced at all, i'ts hard to get a decent tone without it being too much of one thing from the active electronics.. which is a shame really because i love the bubinga look.

So far I'm interested in the ibby's and the yamaha, they seem to be getting positives in this thread which is nice..

Looks like i will be going to the "good" guitar shop to try a few out. Just gotta sit tight until December now D=