Why become a member? ×

Help buying first 'proper' amp!

ScaryBass

OK so my bands are starting to pick up some gigs and I can't carry on forever borrowing amps from people I know so I'm looking for my first 'proper' bass amp, however at a push I don't really want to spend more than £400 at this moment in time. Basically its only small pub gigs and in the past I've just used a Behringer (I know...) 180w combo thats then been DI'd, preferably I'd like something other than behringer and as big as possible for my budget. I'm still new to this bass thing so any help would be appreciated!

I'd go for a peavey rig mate.. That's what I used for ages before I recently upgraded. You should quite easily be able to pick up a head and cab for well under your £400, i've seen loads on here for sale. At least buying separates over a combo you can upgrade the head and cab as and when you can if you want to.
Good idea getting your own rig though, i've got to the point of not lending my gear to people who don't bother to bring their own now as it annoys me too much.

Yep, plenty of good items for sale on here. I`m a Marshall man, but if I were recommending a specific make, it would have to be Hartke. Had a Hartke rig a few yrs ago, and it was great - powerful, versatile, and not too heavy. The LH500 seems to get a lot of love on here, if you can find one of those 2nd hand, if not, they`re 300 new, so leaves you 100 for a cab, which you should pick up something off of here for that.

Edited by Lozz196