Why become a member? ×

Paul Bryant double bass for sale. [SOLD]

douglas81

Hi there,

I am selling my Paul Bryant bass. It's his Gofriller copy. I bought this in late 2006 direct from Paul. It has very nice finely geared tuning machines, which I paid a bit extra for over the stock model.

It has received around £800 worth of improvements over the past couple of years - undertaken by one of the UK's top luthiers. It has a nice new high quality larger bridge (the one Paul fitted was, apparently, too small for the instrument!), rather lovely looking ebony adjusters, the finger board has been smoothed out, the nut adjusted, the machines correctly adjusted and refitted, sound post adjusted and other minor modifications and adjustments - all for the better.

I would suggest it is sounding and playing much better than it was when I got it from Paul -- much improved and refined.

In terms of a sale price, given the work I have had done and the improved sound, reliability and playability, I have been advised that I should be looking for somewhere around the same price I paid for it new (£5,500). So, looking for something around the £5000 mark. ([b]EDIT: now considering all reasonable offers for a quick sale[/b])

It has a few of the usual scuffs and bumps on the edges, but nothing at all serious. The worst bit cosmetically is on the back where I accidentally scratched up against it with my belt for a full gig (see last picture for detail). It was serviced earlier this month and I'm pleased to report it is playing very well with no unwanted buzzes or rattles.

I hope to get some soundclips here in the next few days (EDIT: added - see a few posts down!).

Concert video:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EC_nuHjFEc[/media]

High quality audio here:
[url="http://owduo.com/tagged/audio"]http://owduo.com/tagged/audio[/url]

Any questions, please get in touch.

I'm based in Poland, but often in the UK. Also able to travel to parts of mainland Europe quite easily.

Thanks,

Douglas.

[attachment=63998:bryant_front_small.jpg] [attachment=63999:bryant_back_small.jpg]

[attachment=64000:bryant_d..._1000359.jpg] [attachment=64002:bryant_d..._1000361.jpg]

[attachment=64003:bryant_d..._1000356.jpg] [attachment=64004:bryant_d..._1000357.jpg]

[attachment=64005:bryant_d..._1000353.jpg] [attachment=64006:bryant_d..._1000358.jpg]

[attachment=64007:bryant_d..._1000360.jpg] [attachment=64008:bryant_d..._1000364.jpg]

Edited by douglas81

[quote name='geoffbassist' post='959472' date='Sep 17 2010, 02:13 PM']Ive also got a bryant bass and they are great instruments for really reasonable money.
I would recommend them to anyone and this looks like a great instrument.
Good luck with your sale.[/quote]
I had a budget of £8500 when I bought this bass, but felt the Bryant offered as good a sound as anything I tried. Sure, a couple of basses I played may have been cosmetically superior, but the Bryant won the prize for sound! Amazing value, for sure.

Why am I selling? As my playing style has evolved, I am finding that the Bryant is just too big a bass for my needs. It is a big sounding orchestral bass when bowed, and has that Ray Brown thing in abundance when plucked (it's an *amazing* bass for walking), but that doesn't really fit my needs any more. I play a lot of quieter chamber stuff, and I'm looking to get a more bass more suited to that. If I had the money, I'd keep the Bryant. I'm sure this will be perfect for someone.

Edited by douglas81

[quote name='douglas81' post='961606' date='Sep 19 2010, 09:36 PM']Anyone with experience of selling double basses care to make any suggestions about where to advertise my bass for sale? I don't particularly want to sell it on commission through a dealer - would rather try and sell direct.[/quote]
[url="http://www.musicalinstrumentsales.co.uk/"]This place may be a good start[/url]

There's [url="http://www.doublebasschat.com/forum/index.php"]double bass chat[/url]

Also, put an add up on Talkbass in the international section.

Lovely bass, good luck with the sale.

Edited by TPJ

• 4 weeks later...

That's a lovely bass Douglas - I found those photo's from somewhere when I was looking around earlier this year and kept them in my "Paul Bryant" folder! Paul's basses look really nice but I couldn't afford one as a first instrument. Come to think of it, I can't afford one at the moment either but if I had the cash I'd probably be all over it, Glasgow or not!

Good luck with the sale, wish I could buy it from you.

Edited by Greydad

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='douglas81' post='959507' date='Sep 17 2010, 01:38 PM']I had a budget of £8500 when I bought this bass, but felt the Bryant offered as good a sound as anything I tried. Sure, a couple of basses I played may have been cosmetically superior, but the Bryant won the prize for sound! Amazing value, for sure.

Why am I selling? As my playing style has evolved, I am finding that the Bryant is just too big a bass for my needs. It is a big sounding orchestral bass when bowed, and has that Ray Brown thing in abundance when plucked (it's an *amazing* bass for walking), but that doesn't really fit my needs any more. I play a lot of quieter chamber stuff, and I'm looking to get a more bass more suited to that. If I had the money, I'd keep the Bryant. I'm sure this will be perfect for someone.[/quote]

Hi Douglas,

would you be interested in trades?

c1900 German flatback

A Wal Midi Bass or a Wal 5 fretless?

cheers
Keith

[quote name='douglas81' post='1014531' date='Nov 6 2010, 05:31 PM']Finally got around to making a quick pizz. demo:

[attachment=63182:bryant_quickdemo.mp3]

Douglas.

P.S. Sorry Keith, not particularly interested in trades.[/quote]

No worries

what a great sounding bass!

• 2 weeks later...

Download an extra high resolution images of the full front and rear of the body here:

Front: [url="http://douglaswhates.com/bassimages/bryant2010/bryant_front_XXL.jpg"]http://douglaswhates.com/bassimages/bryant...t_front_XXL.jpg[/url] (9702px x 3921px)

Rear: [url="http://douglaswhates.com/bassimages/bryant2010/bryant_back_XXL.jpg"]http://douglaswhates.com/bassimages/bryant...nt_back_XXL.jpg[/url] (9660px x 3912px)

WARNING: these files are VERY big (around 14MB each) but you can see the instrument in a lot of detail.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Douglas,

Bryants are great basses for the money. I know a few guys that play them as their 2nd instruments. I'd definitely be checking it out if i needed another bass. Have you advertised it on www.musicalchairs.info yet? That would be my first suggestion (it's where a lot of orchestral musos list their basses and I sold my Mentec bass via that site last year). Also because of the price, it should be of a lot of interest to students so knock up a good PDF advert and send it to the relevant departments at the royal academy, royal college, Guildhall, royal northern, trinity, royal Scottish and any other music college you can think of. Good luck with the sale

[quote name='chrkelly' post='1045690' date='Dec 2 2010, 09:35 PM']Hi Douglas,

Bryants are great basses for the money. I know a few guys that play them as their 2nd instruments. I'd definitely be checking it out if i needed another bass. Have you advertised it on www.musicalchairs.info yet? That would be my first suggestion (it's where a lot of orchestral musos list their basses and I sold my Mentec bass via that site last year). Also because of the price, it should be of a lot of interest to students so knock up a good PDF advert and send it to the relevant departments at the royal academy, royal college, Guildhall, royal northern, trinity, royal Scottish and any other music college you can think of. Good luck with the sale[/quote]
Thanks for the advise and will check out musicalchairs.

• 1 month later...

I continue to have a lot of interest in this bass, but no firm takers yet. I think it is in quite a tricky price range - a bit too expensive for amateurs and a bit too cheap for heavy-weight orchestral players. Anyway, just thought I'd let you know it's still here...!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Douglas, I just bought a bass, and I live in the United States, so I'm not in the market. But I have to say, I listened to the video you posted. That bass sounded like many I've heard in the $15,000 range. Very impressive. And your playing was great too.

On that video - how was the bass amplified? I'm just curious because the sound was so big and pure. I couldn't see an amp. But surely it wasn't unamplified straight from the stage? I also couldn't see a microphone.