Why become a member? ×

Orange Terror + Compact

parker_muse

I'm looking to replace my whole rig (which is fine, it's just a bit muddy when you really really crank it and isn't that portable) with an Orange Terror 500 and a Barefaced Compact. I've been doing some research into both of these and the terror seems ideal for what I want tonally (slightly gritty aggressive thump) and it's obviously very portable. The barefaced compact by nature also seems to be incredibly portable too but i've a question or two about it if that's okay alex?

I see that you reccomend 200-500 watt heads at 8ohms. The Terror is exactly 500 watts at 8ohm which seems ideal, but i know for a fact that they are scarily loud for that. Would the cab still suit? And will it provide what I need for my tone? Sorry for the questions.

Tom.

Ah, now there's your problem, I don't actually have a Compact!

I play my Terror Bass through a Big One, or a Midget, or both. It works & sounds great with all three options, but IMHO the really stand-out sound is through the Midget by itself.

The Midget is an angry cab anyway, and the gritty tone from the Terror Bass through that cab gives you a real presence at any pub gig.

There's also the fun of watching members of the audience trying to work out where your 'real' rig is hidden. :)

Hi Tom,

The Compact is fine with that sort of power. 200W-600W into 8 ohms nominal is what we recommend - you can use more if you're sensible and less if you're in a quiet band. Tone-wise - probably, but here's the stock questions to make sure:

What amp do you use? What cab(s) do you currently use? What do/don't you like about them? What music do you usually play? What kind of bass sounds are you into (links to YouTube clips, Amazon samples, etc helpful)? (it's much more useful to hear what you deem to be 'slightly gritty aggressive thump' than hazard a guess based on the adjectives!) What bass(es) do you play? What kind of gigs do you usually play?

Best regards,

Alex

I'll be playing a stringray copy and a Fender Jazz into it. I currently use an Ashdown Superfly into a homebuild by alien on this form (1x15 450 watts eminence kappa 4 ohm) and a Peavey 2x10 (300 watts 4 ohm). I like it at rehearsal as i can get a variety of tones and it doesn't distort, but at gigs when i crank it everything becomes muddy and i lose my tone. Couple this with it being so hifi i can't get that sorta subtle valve grind that i want.

www.myspace.com/coxonsriot - its a combination of ska, indie and powerpop.

Gig wise we're starting to play much bigger gigs, but generally playing to about 80 people upwards. Probably playing infront of up to 1000 this weekend at Brisfest. I'll get some links for tones.

[quote name='parker_muse' post='958349' date='Sep 16 2010, 02:20 PM']I'm looking to replace my whole rig (which is fine, it's just a bit muddy when you really really crank it and isn't that portable) with an Orange Terror 500 and a Barefaced Compact. I've been doing some research into both of these and the terror seems ideal for what I want tonally (slightly gritty aggressive thump) and it's obviously very portable. The barefaced compact by nature also seems to be incredibly portable too but i've a question or two about it if that's okay alex?

I see that you reccomend 200-500 watt heads at 8ohms. The Terror is exactly 500 watts at 8ohm which seems ideal, but i know for a fact that they are scarily loud for that. Would the cab still suit? And will it provide what I need for my tone? Sorry for the questions.

Tom.[/quote]

why not get the Terror and the orange sp210.. The amp is 500w the cab cab handle 600w.. It's small and blo*dy loud and sound great.. that's what I use. I get it on the tube without a fuss.. I was blown away by it's power and tone

I use a jazz Aerodyne and a Jazz US roadworn.. My styles are anything from rock, pop to Soul, folk and a bit of dub.. and anything else

Edited by algmusic

Hi Tom,

Just listening to your MySpace tunes! I think the Compact is the way to go, as it'll give you more of that big ska bottom with your 500W than the Midget can (doubling the enclosure size gets you another 3dB in the lows, like having twice as much power). The onus will be on your to keep control of those lows by how you play (muting particularly) but if you really do find the Terror/Compact pairing too big in the lows then we can swap it for the Midget. I don't think you will though. Btw, if that's you playing on the MySpace recordings then I think you need to update your sub-avatar quote unless Gloucester is a hotbed of bass talent! :) Not sure if you'll be able to get as much grind from the Terror as on your first clip, partly that depends on how hard you can drive the front end which in turn depends on how loud your basses are and how hard you tend to play. Also a lot of that is from his pick attack - tone is indeed in the hands (and what they're up to) But you can always add a boost or overdrive pedal out front, and picks are cheap!

Best regards,

Alex

P.S. Regarding the SP210 suggestion, it can only handle 600W thermally, it'll be excursion limited to less than half that. And because it's an isobaric design (using a pair of drivers acting as one driver with twice the cone mass, half the suspension compliance, half the Vas, half the voice coil resistance, and 3dB lower sensitivity compared to one) although it's a 2x10" it has the same maximum output and low frequency extension of a 1x10" of double the net volume (the doubling of power handling gets back the 3dB sensitivity loss, and note that the net volume is the volume behind the rear driver in the isobaric so you also have to add the space for the front driver and the isobaric chamber, and the port (which has to be three times as long if you halve the net volume to maintain the same tuning)). Compared to a normal 2x10" an isobaric 2x10" has 6dB lower max output. End result is that the SP212 can't play as loud as the Midget, let alone the SP210 getting anywhere near the Compact.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='959151' date='Sep 17 2010, 09:36 AM']Hi Tom,

Just listening to your MySpace tunes! I think the Compact is the way to go, as it'll give you more of that big ska bottom with your 500W than the Midget can (doubling the enclosure size gets you another 3dB in the lows, like having twice as much power). The onus will be on your to keep control of those lows by how you play (muting particularly) but if you really do find the Terror/Compact pairing too big in the lows then we can swap it for the Midget. I don't think you will though. Btw, if that's you playing on the MySpace recordings then I think you need to update your sub-avatar quote unless Gloucester is a hotbed of bass talent! :rolleyes: Not sure if you'll be able to get as much grind from the Terror as on your first clip, partly that depends on how hard you can drive the front end which in turn depends on how loud your basses are and how hard you tend to play. Also a lot of that is from his pick attack - tone is indeed in the hands (and what they're up to) But you can always add a boost or overdrive pedal out front, and picks are cheap!

Best regards,

Alex

P.S. Regarding the SP210 suggestion, it can only handle 600W thermally, it'll be excursion limited to less than half that. And because it's an isobaric design (using a pair of drivers acting as one driver with twice the cone mass, half the suspension compliance, half the Vas, half the voice coil resistance, and 3dB lower sensitivity compared to one) although it's a 2x10" it has the same maximum output and low frequency extension of a 1x10" of double the net volume (the doubling of power handling gets back the 3dB sensitivity loss, and note that the net volume is the volume behind the rear driver in the isobaric so you also have to add the space for the front driver and the isobaric chamber, and the port (which has to be three times as long if you halve the net volume to maintain the same tuning)). Compared to a normal 2x10" an isobaric 2x10" has 6dB lower max output. End result is that the SP212 can't play as loud as the Midget, let alone the SP210 getting anywhere near the Compact.[/quote]

For a couple of new tracks i'm starting to introduce an aggressive picking action because deep down i've always wanted to be Bruce Foxton! I play with a pretty hard finger style anyway, by no means like Geezer Butler but i'm far from gentle!

And your P.S made no sense to my completely amp ignorant brain so i skipped to the last two sentences and heard what i needed to know! :)

[quote name='alexclaber' post='959151' date='Sep 17 2010, 09:36 AM']Hi Tom,

Just listening to your MySpace tunes! I think the Compact is the way to go, as it'll give you more of that big ska bottom with your 500W than the Midget can (doubling the enclosure size gets you another 3dB in the lows, like having twice as much power). The onus will be on your to keep control of those lows by how you play (muting particularly) but if you really do find the Terror/Compact pairing too big in the lows then we can swap it for the Midget. I don't think you will though. Btw, if that's you playing on the MySpace recordings then I think you need to update your sub-avatar quote unless Gloucester is a hotbed of bass talent! :) Not sure if you'll be able to get as much grind from the Terror as on your first clip, partly that depends on how hard you can drive the front end which in turn depends on how loud your basses are and how hard you tend to play. Also a lot of that is from his pick attack - tone is indeed in the hands (and what they're up to) But you can always add a boost or overdrive pedal out front, and picks are cheap!

Best regards,

Alex

P.S. Regarding the SP210 suggestion, it can only handle 600W thermally, it'll be excursion limited to less than half that. And because it's an isobaric design (using a pair of drivers acting as one driver with twice the cone mass, half the suspension compliance, half the Vas, half the voice coil resistance, and 3dB lower sensitivity compared to one) although it's a 2x10" it has the same maximum output and low frequency extension of a 1x10" of double the net volume (the doubling of power handling gets back the 3dB sensitivity loss, and note that the net volume is the volume behind the rear driver in the isobaric so you also have to add the space for the front driver and the isobaric chamber, and the port (which has to be three times as long if you halve the net volume to maintain the same tuning)). Compared to a normal 2x10" an isobaric 2x10" has 6dB lower max output. End result is that the SP212 can't play as loud as the Midget, let alone the SP210 getting anywhere near the Compact.[/quote]

That fair opinion on the SP210, but don't mock it till you've tried it.. I've tried lots gear based on the spec and the spec mean nothing unless you try both.. I think the 210 is better than the 212 and i've tried both.. In a nutshell, it's blasted any 2x10 & 1x15 out of the water and alot of 2x12

I've decided i can't stretch to both an Orange Terror and a Barefaced. Woe is me, the life of a student. So instead i've gone for Martin's Impact by Status and i'll get a barefaced compact to accompany it once my current stuff has sold and i've some cash freed up. I can't wait to hear classic valve tone through a notoriously loud amp...