Why become a member? ×

Is this Willie Weeks?

Jean-Luc Pickguard

Grant Green's 'The final comedown' on Blue Note Blue Break Beats vol1 has just played on my iTunes. What a groove! I'm sure the bass has to be Willie Weeks - the tone and phrasing reminds me of his playing on the Donny Hathaway Live album - one of my favourite albums.

Anyone know whether it is actually Willie Weeks? or maybe someone else with a similar style?

Here's the track is on YT:

Any other bass playing cropped up unexpectedly on a track that make you jump up & say to yourself "that sounds like whoever?"

Edited by Jean-Luc Pickguard

I had a feeling (oo-er missus!) and dug around a bit and can tell you it's Gordon Edwards on bass.
You might be interested to know it's also Cornell Dupree on second guitar and Richard Tee on keys.
The three of them, of course, all being members of Stuff.

:)

[quote name='Stingray5' post='958381' date='Sep 16 2010, 02:51 PM']I had a feeling (oo-er missus!) and dug around a bit and can tell you it's Gordon Edwards on bass.
You might be interested to know it's also Cornell Dupree on second guitar and Richard Tee on keys.
The three of them, of course, all being members of Stuff.

:)[/quote]
Wow! Cheers. I've never heard of Gordon Edwards or Stuff before, but I think I need to have a listen to some of their tracks.

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='958447' date='Sep 16 2010, 03:40 PM']Wow! Cheers. I've never heard of Gordon Edwards or Stuff before, but I think I need to have a listen to some of their tracks.[/quote]
Indeed you do, sir! :rolleyes:
Yeah, Gordon Edwards was (still is?) a busy session player back in the day.
There's probably some Stuff stuff(!) if I remember correctly here on BC. Funk and Groove thread probably... Youtube definitely. :)