Why become a member? ×

Help! Any Mac/Pro-Tools experts out there? SORTED THANKS

Beedster

Hi folks

I've recently bought a new iMac, Mackie 1640i ProTools compatible mixer, and Pro Tools M-Powered 8 (all from DV-247). I took the day today out to get mixer and computer talking to each other and, well, they're not!

So, help is required if at all possible. As far as I can tell I've done everything as per instruction, but when I open Pro Tools, about 10 seconds into loading the programme, an error message states that it cannot fin the hardware, and it closes. I've tried all the obvious things (rebooted, reloaded the software, turned everything on and of a few times, asked it nicely, shouted at it, and read several threads regarding similar issues on various other forums), none of which have helped.

I could really do with some help as I have a busy week next week and don't want to spend too much of my working days on the phone to DV-247. A few things that might be important in resolving the issues are:

1. To connect the Mackie 1640i to the iMac I had to buy a Firewire 6/6 pin cable and an 800 to 400 adapter
2. The iMac recognises the Mackie when the Mackie is switched on, and doesn't when it is switched off, so I guess the Firewire is functioning (although I'm a bit concerned that the adapter might be an issue here)
3. I am computer illiterate!

Any advice or experience gratefully received

Cheers

Chris

Edited by Beedster

so does protools just refuse to start up at all? Or do you mean when you load up a project? If you can get the main menu of protools to come up there should be some sort of audio hardware menu which might be of assistance to see what's happening with the hardware. But if the computer is recognising the hardware then it should work with protools as well. Have you tried downloading the latest version of the driver software off the internet?

[quote name='Beedster' post='953040' date='Sep 11 2010, 07:17 PM']Hi folks

I've recently bought a new iMac, Mackie 1640i ProTools compatible mixer, and Pro Tools M-Powered (all from DV-247). I took the day today out to get mixer and computer talking to each other and, well, they're not!

So, help is required if at all possible. As far as I can tell I've done everything as per instruction, but when I open Pro Tools, about 10 seconds into loading the programme, an error message states that it cannot fin the hardware, and it closes. I've tried all the obvious things (rebooted, reloaded the software, turned everything on and of a few times, asked it nicely, shouted at it, and read several threads regarding similar issues on various other forums), none of which have helped.

I could really do with some help as I have a busy week next week and don't want to spend too much of my working days on the phone to DV-247. A few things that might be important in resolving the issues are:

1. To connect the Mackie 1640i to the iMac I had to buy a Firewire 6/6 pin cable and an 800 to 400 adapter
2. The iMac recognises the Mackie when the Mackie is switched on, and doesn't when it is switched off, so I guess the Firewire is functioning (although I'm a bit concerned that the adapter might be an issue here)
3. I am computer illiterate!

Any advice or experience gratefully received

Cheers

Chris[/quote]

I'm sorry I cnat help you mate, I've not used that set up.

I would suggest you try on [url="http://www.gearslutz.com"]gearslutz [/url], chances are they can help you there...

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='953052' date='Sep 11 2010, 07:28 PM']so does protools just refuse to start up at all? Or do you mean when you load up a project? If you can get the main menu of protools to come up there should be some sort of audio hardware menu which might be of assistance to see what's happening with the hardware. But if the computer is recognising the hardware then it should work with protools as well. Have you tried downloading the latest version of the driver software off the internet?[/quote]

Hi EH, thanks for the reply. No, PT doesn't open. It's the M-Powered version deigned to run with compatible hardware. The exact error message is 'Unable to locate M-Audio hardware. Make sure your hardware is connected and turned on. Which it is! When I click 'OK' it closes the ProTools dialogue box.

C

[quote name='51m0n' post='953053' date='Sep 11 2010, 07:29 PM']I'm sorry I cnat help you mate, I've not used that set up.

I would suggest you try on [url="http://www.gearslutz.com"]gearslutz [/url], chances are they can help you there...[/quote]

Thanks mate, thread started there also [url="http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/528959-protools-m-powered-8-not-talking-mackie-1640i-mac-os-x-10-6-4-a.html"]http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-compu...x-10-6-4-a.html[/url]

C

[quote name='~tl' post='953105' date='Sep 11 2010, 08:19 PM']According to this page, you have to download and install a driver for Pro Tools support:

[url="http://www.mackie.com/products/onyxiseries/drivers/"]http://www.mackie.com/products/onyxiseries/drivers/[/url][/quote]

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I've seen that, but the instructions with the mixer said that you only need to download those for PCs, not for Mac. I'll take a closer look now though, I might have misread this section

C

[quote name='Beedster' post='953109' date='Sep 11 2010, 09:23 PM']Thanks for the reply. Yes, I've seen that, but the instructions with the mixer said that you only need to download those for PCs, not for Mac. I'll take a closer look now though, I might have misread this section

C[/quote]
A quick scan of that page seems to indicate that you do need them for Pro Tools on the Mac. All other DAWs should work without them, as the manual says.

[quote name='~tl' post='953111' date='Sep 11 2010, 08:25 PM']A quick scan of that page seems to indicate that you do need them for Pro Tools on the Mac. All other DAWs should work without them, as the manual says.[/quote]

I think you're right! As far as I can see there's not one mention of this in the manual. Furthermore, the manual states that you don't need to download any drivers for Macs!

C

[quote name='Beedster' post='953131' date='Sep 11 2010, 09:44 PM']I think you're right! As far as I can see there's not one mention of this in the manual. Furthermore, the manual states that you don't need to download any drivers for Macs!

C[/quote]
Pro Tools is the exception to every rule :)

[quote name='~tl' post='953151' date='Sep 11 2010, 09:04 PM']Pro Tools is the exception to every rule :)[/quote]

I'm in!!!

Well this one is Mackie's fault as far as I can tell. Quote from the manual "Mac 0S X contains built in drivers, so no software installation is required". The manual then goes on to describe the process of downloading drivers etc for PCs. OK, I might not be entirely computer literate, and OK, it does state on their website that you need to download drivers, but surely the manual should mention this!

The word 'Mackie' is not to be spoken around me for a while!

~tl (how do you pronounce that?), I owe you a beer or two (along with several other guys on here who have made the studio process relatively straight forward for me), many thanks

Chris

[quote name='charic' post='953174' date='Sep 11 2010, 09:28 PM']If you could post the solution on your other thread it might be an idea. Nothing wrong with the mackie hardware i bet though. And i bet it feels nice to the touch! Didnt realise you went for the 1640i either, mustve missed that![/quote]

Done :)

Re the 1640i, yes, made that call about 4 weeks back. And yes, it's lovely!