Why become a member? ×

Volume disparity - help me please!

Jazzman

[quote name='Jazzman' post='962798' date='Sep 20 2010, 10:08 PM']I'm ideally looking to boost the volume of the quieter bass, even though I know this will be more expensive. A friend has suggested the Sansamp Bass Driver Deluxe. Any thoughts?[/quote]

That will certainly do the trick, but you're buying a huge amount of functionality (for over £200 if new) in order to do one very simple thing.

If you have other needs / plans / ambitions that you haven't mentioned then the BDDI Deluxe may well be right for you. I like mine for some applications but for others I prefer my Radial Bassbone.

For what you've said you want, the LS2 seems to be a complete no-brainer.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='963357' date='Sep 21 2010, 02:41 PM']That will certainly do the trick, but you're buying a huge amount of functionality (for over £200 if new) in order to do one very simple thing.

If you have other needs / plans / ambitions that you haven't mentioned then the BDDI Deluxe may well be right for you. I like mine for some applications but for others I prefer my Radial Bassbone.

For what you've said you want, the LS2 seems to be a complete no-brainer.[/quote]

I've just been looking at the LS2. It looks to me that it has one instrument input and two send/return loops. Manual doesn't show how would that work with two basses. Has anyone actually used it that way?

Edited by spinynorman

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='954256' date='Sep 13 2010, 01:08 AM']I'm surprised it took this long for anyone to mention the swiss army LS-2.

You can pick them up used for about £40 usually, they are useful for tonnes of stuff, anywhere you can imagine needing an A/B loop/switch or a simple 2-channel mixer.[/quote]

+1

Couldn't believe it either... Funny I just sold one for £20.. It was batter from the previous owner, but it worked with no noise. Made like bricks!!

[quote name='spinynorman' post='963373' date='Sep 21 2010, 02:57 PM']I've just been looking at the LS2. It looks to me that it has one instrument input and two send/return loops. Manual doesn't show how would that work with two basses. Has anyone actually used it that way?[/quote]

You can use it to just switch between different volume levels I think. But, if you wanted to you could plug each bass into a seperate effects return, set the level properly, and leave them plugged in.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='cheddatom' post='963527' date='Sep 21 2010, 04:49 PM']You can use it to just switch between different volume levels I think. But, if you wanted to you could plug each bass into a seperate effects return, set the level properly, and leave them plugged in.[/quote]
Any chance you could elaborate on this for me? I'm very interested in the LS2 now, as it is substantially cheaper.

Currently my set up is as follows:

2 basses into A/B switch.
Into Multi FX pedalboard
Into Amp

I still need both basses to go through my pedalboard. How could I set up so that my fretless bass gets a volume boost?

I don't have a lot of experience with pedals, so I need a bit of guidance.

Thanks

[quote name='Matty' post='954239' date='Sep 12 2010, 11:57 PM']how about a boss LS-2.
volume control over both basses, simple stompbox format, dead cheap.[/quote]

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='954256' date='Sep 13 2010, 01:08 AM']I'm surprised it took this long for anyone to mention the swiss army LS-2.

You can pick them up used for about £40 usually, they are useful for tonnes of stuff, anywhere you can imagine needing an A/B loop/switch or a simple 2-channel mixer.[/quote]

+1 to all of this. I will be using an LS-2 I recently purchased in this exact fashion.

1. Plug loud bass into input, output to rest of pedals/amp.

2. Plug quieter bass into return A.

3. Set mode knob to A<->Bypass, so the pedal switches between bypass (loud 5 string) and Loop A (quiet fretless) going to the amp.

4. Set the level of your quiet fretless using the volume knob for channel A until equal with the 5 string.

5. When you switch basses hit the LS-2 and away you go!

Edited by Higgie

I used to use a Boss 4 channel stereo mixer. A great cheap way of getitng over the problem.

Now I just use my MM Stingray & Aria Pro 2 fretless, in the active & passive inputs on my TE AH200 head, and luckily I only have to turn up the input by one notch (1/2) for the Aria to match the volume of my Ray.

[quote name='Higgie' post='981851' date='Oct 8 2010, 06:18 PM']+1 to all of this. I will be using an LS-2 I recently purchased in this exact fashion.

1. Plug loud bass into input, output to rest of pedals/amp.

2. Plug quieter bass into return A.

3. Set mode knob to A<->Bypass, so the pedal switches between bypass (loud 5 string) and Loop A (quiet fretless) going to the amp.

4. Set the level of your quiet fretless using the volume knob for channel A until equal with the 5 string.

5. When you switch basses hit the LS-2 and away you go![/quote]
Brilliant! THanks a bunch. LS-2 is now on the christmas list!