Why become a member? ×

Valve Amp newbie

Gwilym

Hello all,

I'm very tempted to pull the trigger on an all-valve head, I've done my research on the amp, and it's highly regarded, so I've no real need to find out any more about that specific amp.

However, what are the general considerations when buying a used all-valve amp - assuming that everything is working as it should?

Is it purely to do with the condition/usage of the valves themselves, and whether or not I might have to fork out for a re-valve at some not-too-distant point in the future? That's the only thing I can think of :)

cheers
G

[quote name='Gwilym' post='951105' date='Sep 9 2010, 09:04 PM']....what are the general considerations when buying a used all-valve amp - assuming that everything is working as it should?....[/quote]
Don't power up without the speakers connected. Or run a cab on the wrong ohmage.

The valves need to acclimatise to the room before you switch on, in winter especially, and don't throw the amp around when the valves are still hot.

How heavy is it and can you lift it?

[quote name='thebassman' post='951283' date='Sep 9 2010, 11:27 PM']Hi mate
So what amp are we talking about, don't keep us in suspense.[/quote]

well, it looks like if missed out on it. but, it was a Sadowsky SA200. It's on hold for someone until next Weds, and it sounds like a done deal. If it falls through, I'm going to take it, but it sounds unlikely :)

I would say that the 2 biggest pitfalls (if you can call them that) are the size/weight, which you know about, and the maintenance required (replacing valves and biasing mainly). On the up side if you're at all technically adept you can maintain them yourself :) I once hot rodded a '59 Bassman to great effect (made it into a gain and master volume amp) and I'm not a super skilled DIY person.